Model steam train build questions

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bridgeport13b

Model steam train build questions

Post by bridgeport13b »

Hey so I want to build a steam powered model train and was curious as to which kit to buy for someone who is new to machining? Looking for a kit that’s easier to build. Who are all the different vendors for models and casting?
Berkman

Re: Model steam train build questions

Post by Berkman »

Allen Models chloe or mogul
Conner beam engine
Mercer A5 0-4-0

Any of those would be good starting points.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

First you need to figure out where you plan to run the engine when finished.
Where do you live? Are there any clubs nearby?
You say you are a beginner as fa as machining is concerned. Have you done any machine work?
If not I would suggest taking some courses at a vocational school. And before starting a locomotive you might want to build s stationary engine to gain experience.
If you live near a club with the smaller gauges…..you might also consider an engine like the Raritan in 3/4” scale.
A lot depends on what size machine tools you have. A Raritan can be built using a 9” South Bend and a bench top mill.
Keith
bridgeport13b

Post by bridgeport13b »

LVRR2095 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 am First you need to figure out where you plan to run the engine when finished.
Where do you live? Are there any clubs nearby?
You say you are a beginner as fa as machining is concerned. Have you done any machine work?
If not I would suggest taking some courses at a vocational school. And before starting a locomotive you might want to build s stationary engine to gain experience.
If you live near a club with the smaller gauges…..you might also consider an engine like the Raritan in 3/4” scale.
A lot depends on what size machine tools you have. A Raritan can be built using a 9” South Bend and a bench top mill.
Keith
I don’t think there are any clubs in Washington state, but I have a south bend heavy 10, and a knee mill. All my machining experience is all firearms related. For the most part I’m not terrible at machining, still have a lot to learn. But as far as the train goes I want it to be running condition but I want to display it in my shop.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

The S.B. heavy 10 would be perfect for an engine like The Raritan, and it could easily be displayed in your shop when finished.
You can find clubs at this page: https://discoverlivesteam.com/A-clubs.htm

You should visit some clubs and other live steam hobby folks to see examples of different engines to see what you like.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Where are you located?
You should add that to your name the postings. Then others can offer location specific assistance.

There are indeed public clubs and private tracks in Washington State.
The premier club is Kitsap LiveSteamers, in Port Orchard, WA, west of Seattle. An excellent place to learn, visit and observe.
https://kls.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?sl=1501349131

And Discover Live Steam is a useful website to visit:
https://discoverlivesteam.com

And many more...
RussN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

It depends a lot on the type of locomotive you like. Many model a specific prototype that they have an affinity towards. So if you are more interested in geared locomotives, go for a Allen/Schroeder shay, if you like " old time" looking locomotives, there's the Railroad supply or little engines 4-4-0. If you want something modern looking, there are many examples.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

First and most important question...

What do you have in the way of a vehicle to transport finished loco?
Followed immediately by: do you have the emotional fortitude to stick with a multi year project.

Steamers are generally not bolt together kits.

Otherwise...all other comments are spot on.

Let us not forget the concept of:

is your local steam club in an area likely to be flooded?

Do not ask....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Bill is spot on>....My mogul took 8 years to finish. My Shay took 2 years ( I was retired )

JB
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Also a very nice 7.5” track up in the town of Skykomish Club name is Great Northern and Cascade RR.

https://www.greatnortherncascaderailway.com/

May of the KLS members are also members of the Gn&C

I have a small backyard 12” ga pike in Woodinville. Your welcome to stop by and visit, anytime.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I would pick up any of Kozo Hiraoka's books. They contain a wealth of information that will give you a good idea of what it takes to build a locomotive. All of his models are in 3/4" scale but all of the techniques are applicable to larger scales. Each book also has a section on how to scale up if you want to build in a larger scale. Even if you don't build the locomotive from the book they are worth getting as references.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Building ANY working steam locomotive is a huge undertaking and should be carefully considered before starting. I always recommend that any first time builder start with a smaller locomotive with fewer parts, which can be made operational in the shortest amount of time. Something like an 0-4-0, 0-6-0, or maybe a 2-6-0. The Allen models locomotives are very good. There have literally been hundreds built, and you will most likely have at least one person in any club who either owns or has built one. A typical 1 1/2" scale 0-4-0 and small tender can be built by someone with good machining and fabricating skills in about 900 to 1,000 shop hours, give or take. If your skills aren't as good or need developing, you can easily add a few hundred hours to that time. A 1 1/2" scale 2-6-0 Mogul would be in the 1,200 to 1,300 hour and up range for a build. On the other hand, a 4-6-2 pacific will only be about half-way completed in the amount of time it takes to build the 0-4-0. Usually, people dive in and work really hard on their project for the first couple of years. If they haven't made significant progress in that time, they usually get discouraged and quit working on it, or other life stuff gets in the way. There are those who will argue with me, but the average person is going to have the best chance for success on a first time build with a smaller and simpler locomotive. If you are already an experienced machinist and fabricator or are working under the tutelage of an experienced locomotive builder, then ignore what I said above and build whatever you like.

I've said it many times and I will say it again: A running 0-4-0 is a lot more fun than a half-finished Pacific chassis sitting on your bench! It is also much easier to sell a completed and running locomotive than it is a half-finished chassis and a bunch of parts.

As stated above, find out what tracks are near you and have a visit. Figure out how you are going to transport this once it's done. If it's just going to be a display model, then you will definitely want to figure out how much room you are going to allow it to occupy. If you only want a display model, I would suggest the 2-4-0 Raritan in 3/4" scale. It can be placed on the mantle, is a beautiful model of an 1870s-1880s locomotive, the castings are reasonable cost, and the machine work is pretty straight forward. You won't be able to take it anywhere near you and run it, but if that's not something you're really that interested in, the smaller scales would be perfect.