best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PilotBug

Re: best way to get started?

Post by PilotBug »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:15 pm I ask about "father's car" because depending on the car -> even a CRAB can easily be tool big...

there are cars, compact SUVs, SUVs and trucks...all have different cargo capacities....
I am not exactly sure, but I will come back when I find out
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Of course the vehicle that your father has today may be very different than the one he owns when a running loco needs transportation.

Follow my line of looking at the big picture?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

If you're considering the Chole or the Fitchburg Northern, I'd recommend the latter. The Fitchburg has a pilot truck, which helps with getting around curves, and an extra pair of drivers. And it has a tender. (Although you'd certainly build an engineer's car for the Chloe that would be a de facto tender.) Finally, the Fitchburg weighs 100 lbs. more and thus would have a little more traction. There is nothing wrong with the Chloe, however.

(Tell Dad he needs to buy a pickup truck! :D )
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

If you're considering the Chole or the Fitchburg Northern, I'd recommend the latter.
I would have to disagree and recommend the former for a beginner's locomotive. The 0-4-2 Chloe was my very first locomotive and it was spectacularly good as a beginner locomotive for a 16 year old, which is how old I was when I first got it on steam. I Still have it, just need to repair the leaking boiler and get it put back together. I ran the crap out of that thing. It probably has more miles on it than 90% of the steamers in this hobby.
Why it makes a great beginner locomotive:
(1) It weighs around 250 pounds, at least mine did, which meant that my dad and I could literally pick it up and carry it in and out of the house for storage. That was a big deal, being able to store it inside and walk up a couple of steps with it. It meant that I didn't have to have ramps, or a shop, or a storage stand, etc...
(2) it is short and will fit in nearly any small truck or SUV. Heck, I've even carried it across the back seat of a car, with a large board on the seat and tied the seat belts around it to hold it in place. I could literally put everything in our 1980 Chevy Malibu 4-door and go out and run for the day.
(3) It is a tank-type engine which means that almost any car can be used as a riding car. You can borrow a car when you get where you are going, and don't even need one yourself to start out with. The MSLS club had an old gondola that I would borrow and use, and I did that for a couple of years until I built my first car.
(4) It doesn't use a whole lot of coal, oil, etc... and is very economical in that way. Less stuff to have to buy, less stuff to have to store. It also fires up pretty quickly which means that you don't spend hours in the steaming bays getting everything ready. I could arrive at the track and about 40 minutes later I'd be rolling.

Now If I was building one of them for myself today, then there is no doubt that I would build the Fitchburg Northern Mogul. But, I have the infrastructure to build and handle that a lot easier now, and I would want the larger locomotive with the ride-on tender. Back in the day, that just wasn't the case. I was just like PilotBug in that I wanted one, and I had to start small with something that I could handle given what I had to work with.

I then got larger equipment later on when I was out of college and could afford it and the stuff to handle it. It kept me running and having fun throughout my high school years and through all of my college years, and beyond. It was a great locomotive to just be able to go and run whenever you wanted to. I don't regret my choice one bit.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Now, if it were I, I'd make something like what I did- start with making a 3/4"x 3/4" stationary engine (or 7/8") (Reeves, Tiny Power, Stuart, PM research or from bar stock), then "motorize" a 0-4-0 with it. Sure, the lap times are somewhat in the calendar range, but it allows you to build each part separately- build the engine first, get it to run on air. Then build a boiler (or have one built) & run it on steam. Then a feed pump/arrangement, and lastly stick it all onto a 0-4-0 platform. If one wants to go faster, start with a bigger engine- but the price goes up fairly quickly of making a mistake when starting. (for example, if you start with a 1 1/2" * 1 1/2" engine, then it is going to be more than 2x the cost for brass, and a LOT more cost for tooling unless someone else is providing it- a Stuart 10 _can_ be made with just a set of files, 4 taps, 2 dies & a very few drills...not "easy", but it can be done...a Taig lathe would do nicely, or a Unimat SL. Something like a Stuart 5A really needs a 6" or bigger lathe, and is going to be much quicker if you have a mill as well.

ImageThing2 by Peach James, on Flickr

March 1996, I was 19, the engine was 3. Engine was built mostly by me- the boiler is dad's work, with someone else (Scotty, probably) doing the welding. Frames were done @ dad's in 2 passes on the mill/drill (too long for a single go). Cross members were done by me with a file & hacksaw. Hornblocks were done on my south bend with the vertical slide. Engine was made in grade 10 metal shop at high school. (grade 9 year). Gears came out of a photocopier. Fittings were made mostly @ dad's, as 2nd fittings (it's just as easy to make multi of a fitting over 1, the setup and oops pieces cost the same for making a batch...). I transported the frames & chunk of PB for hornblocks home on the Grayhound, my carry on bag weighed about 70 lb that trip !.

It all _can_ be done, and once you start, you will probably find that the older hands have something that they will pass on to you, be it a 1/2 worn set of taps & dies, or some barstock, or some advice. Show up with _something done_, and it opens a big world...

James Powell
(a spry, youthful 44 year old...)
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, Pilotbug, after seven pages of answers and advice, some of which is conflicting, the takeaway is that there is no absolute "best way" to get started. Pick a project that appeals to you. You will live with it for a long time. Develop a burning desire. Be persistent. Refuse to give up during those inevitable times when things go wrong. By considering each part a project in itself you won't get overwhelmed. Endeavor to make friends. Remember that old proverb that the voyage is not about the destination. It's about the journey.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I like how Greg has summed things up. He hit on a key point - whatever you do, break things down to smallest possible bites. That way you can take on the big projects by making each phase a series of small steps. And go with what ever really strikes your fancy!

glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:28 pm Of course the vehicle that your father has today may be very different than the one he owns when a running loco needs transportation.

Follow my line of looking at the big picture?
ok I asked my dad the car he owns is a "Chevrolet Traverse"
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I guess we should be curious... Do your parents approve of your newly discovered interest in building a locomotive, including the expense necessary?

And is your dad willing to transport such a locomotive if it becomes reality?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Car is big enough for a small loco..now all you need is time and dedication and a SUPPORT NETWORK is steamers to help you get and keep going.

Good for you.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:56 pm Car is big enough for a small loco..now all you need is time and dedication and a SUPPORT NETWORK is steamers to help you get and keep going.

Good for you.
And hopefully the support of his parents. I don't want to be a negative nelly but if his parents don't support this venture then I'm not sure how far this will get. At least, until he gets a job from which he can use his money (hopefully) where he wants.

There is certainly a support network here, and we'd all love to see you achieve your goal. Keep us updated and let us know if the machine shop program at your high school will support you taking on personal projects at school (or in place of class work).

Have you considered tech school? Maybe that is a career path you are interested in??
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Mike Walsh wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:51 am
Bill Shields wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:56 pm Car is big enough for a small loco..now all you need is time and dedication and a SUPPORT NETWORK is steamers to help you get and keep going.

Good for you.
And hopefully the support of his parents. I don't want to be a negative nelly but if his parents don't support this venture then I'm not sure how far this will get. At least, until he gets a job from which he can use his money (hopefully) where he wants.

There is certainly a support network here, and we'd all love to see you achieve your goal. Keep us updated and let us know if the machine shop program at your high school will support you taking on personal projects at school (or in place of class work).

Have you considered tech school? Maybe that is a career path you are interested in??
Yes my parents approve

and yes I have asked one of my teachers if I could take the shop class my High school has (thank god)

and in other news, There are two double edged swords in 1. I am small, (could make riding and transport easier) and my dad travels around for work a lot (he like sets up displays in home improvement stores) so it could make transport convenient