Track Radius

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mjordan

Track Radius

Post by Mjordan »

Hey all, I am acquiring some track from another steamer, about 430 linear feet of rail. I assume I should be able to get a little over 200’ of track out of that and would like a loop in my backyard. Unfortunately my rear yard is only about 45’ deep but like 200’ long.

So my question, could a 7.5” gauge little engines C.P. Huntington 4-2-4 make a 20’ radius curve?
Bill Shields

Re: Track Radius

Post by Bill Shields »

Sounds more like smaller gauge footprint
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

Well, there's hope, according to https://www.banninglocomotiveworks.com/ ... gton-4-2-4, the minimum turning radius is 15 feet.But you could also consider a turntable at one end of the yard and a 30ish' radius wye at the other end. Or just run out & back.
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Certainly if you wanted to run a 0-4-0 or 4-4-0, or B-B diesel arrangement, you likely wouldn’t have any trouble with 20’. The tricky part comes to play with the maximum swing of the leading and trailing trucks. These extra wheel sets constrict the minimum turning radius. If you have access to the 4-2-4 you could pull the trucks to the maximum possible radius and measure the chord between front and rear wheels, and chord height to the driver. You can then calculate the minimum turning radius from those two dimensions, and know for sure.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....