Mich-Cal 1.5 Shay.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

oscar g

Mich-Cal 1.5 Shay.

Post by oscar g »

I'm new to plumbing. What is the advantage of using a threaded brass tube, over a silver soldered copper tube?. Either one will be inserted into a bronze PM Research, fitting. I'm using 3/16" and 1/8" globe valves. 3/16"OD. refrigeration copper tubing wall thickness is .030 / 3/16"OD brass tubing varies in wall thickness any where from .03 to .014.(depending on who makes it). That does'nt leave much wall thickness after threading. The tubes will be used for water and kero supply lines. This plumbing will go on my Mich-Cal build.
oscar g.
RR Ty

Re: Mich-Cal 1.5 Shay.

Post by RR Ty »

Both have advantages or disadvantages depending upon the situation. The guts of many valves on full size equipment contain a plastic seal that can be burnt up if one is not careful while silver soldering (brazing), speaking from experience. While threaded pipe does become thinner where it is threaded, it threads into a fitting, essentially increasing the thickness. Threaded is also generally easier to undo, should it need to be removed.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Hi RR Ty,
On my CP173 I used all Model Taper Pipe fittings with -hard- .032 wall copper tube. Any tight bends in the copper were annealed first. On my current build I'm doing the same. The main reason I go this route is I simply like the grittier look of cast pipe fittings on a steam engine.

.015 wall is too thin for threading MTP and soft copper tube (in rolls) is a bear to thread. I've never used brass for piping and I don't have a reason.

I bought the tubing for the CP from Cole's Model Supply who is unfortunately long gone, McMaster Carr carries straight sticks under the heading "copper pipe". PM Research carries .032 wall brass but only thin wall copper that I see.
Also, I had little luck with teflon tape on joints and ended up using Permatex #2 with 100% success.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
oscar g

Post by oscar g »

Thank you RRTy and milwiron for your answer to my plumbing question. I think my choice will be
to go with threaded copper tube, since I already have the taps and dies for the 1/8," 3/16," and
1/4." tubing.
oscar g.
joe.joseph

Post by joe.joseph »

Hi,

I'm looking for a supplier of Brass tubing other than McMaster Carr, MSC, or Grainger. Need sizes from 1/8" up to 3/8" total length about 60' of each size. In the Ohio area.

Thanks.
Joe

Member: Northeast Ohio Live Steamers
Ridge Live Steamers
rudd

Post by rudd »

joe.joseph wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:22 pm Hi,

I'm looking for a supplier of Brass tubing other than McMaster Carr, MSC, or Grainger. Need sizes from 1/8" up to 3/8" total length about 60' of each size. In the Ohio area.

Thanks.
Check Speedymetals.com and onlinemetals.com. Note I have had shipping delays out of the second one, best to place a phone order and make sure they have it.
Fender

Post by Fender »

oscar g wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:42 pm I'm new to plumbing. What is the advantage of using a threaded brass tube, over a silver soldered copper tube?. Either one will be inserted into a bronze PM Research, fitting. I'm using 3/16" and 1/8" globe valves. 3/16"OD. refrigeration copper tubing wall thickness is .030 / 3/16"OD brass tubing varies in wall thickness any where from .03 to .014.(depending on who makes it). That does'nt leave much wall thickness after threading. The tubes will be used for water and kero supply lines. This plumbing will go on my Mich-Cal build.
oscar g.
Copper tubing is more difficult to thread than brass. Copper tends to be more gummy, where the threads do not cut cleanly, and strip off into the die, while brass is usually very easy to thread.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN