Brake rigging mounted

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

steamblower

Brake rigging mounted

Post by steamblower »

brakes.jpg
I have just temporarily mounted my recently completed brake rigging mechanism on my LE 1" Atlantic. I used LE drawings for the construction and is pretty much spec to this point. I also have the completed brake cylinder but it is not yet mounted. I have yet to drill a few small holes for cotter pins here and there.
Before I go any further, can any of you (who have actually built one of these contraptions) comment on whether THIS looks ok? I have a concern that the rear rods have quite an angle as seen in the pic. I was considering 'flipping' teach of the equalizer links so that the rods would be located more to the outside of the brake beam (between the axles). My mechanical brain thinks that it shouldn't make a difference... any comments? Thanks.
hoppercar

Re: Brake rigging mounted

Post by hoppercar »

Looks, just fine to me....the angle of the rods makes no difference. You may have to adjust individual clevises to get them to All pull up tight.....but other than that.....looks fine
steamblower

Post by steamblower »

Thanks! any suggestions about the brake valve?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The only comment I can offer about the brake valve is...huh? What does that have to do with mounting if the rigging?

Unless I am totally missing something...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

Hi,
Yes, it looks good and right. I have an LE light Northern (same parts and rigging) just a lot more of them. As hoppercar said the angle of the rods makes no difference. Just check the adjustments.
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

I can't say if it would make any real difference in performance, but from the picture it would appear that if you were to trade the two brake beams, the attachment point of the rear axel would move outward and the attachment point on front axel inward, which would lessen the angle and make the pull more directly in line with the rods.
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle
NP317

Post by NP317 »

brake - general assy.pdf
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 185 times