2022 Standard Injector Update

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Re: 2022 Standard Injector Update

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

sabin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:33 am Hi Anthony. Any update on the Small Scales Injector?
Jim
I have started on the machined components and will be working on those over the next few weeks. I have the bodies for those as well, but they are suffering from the same problem. I may end up just machining those bodies from bar stock since I didn't get very many orders for the small injectors.

Anthony
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

Ditto with the others, many thanks for the update! It also turned out that after freeing up the washer, my existing EE injector picked up cleanly again so my current order will act as a spare.

A second cleaning of the axel pump along with a newly installed steam pump provides my 0-4-0T with plenty of water now.
GO HARLEY GO!
Attachments
Injector washer freed up after cleaning
Injector washer freed up after cleaning
Harley's steam pump works!
Harley's steam pump works!
sabin

Post by sabin »

Thanks for the small scales injector update. After 30 years of axle / tender hand pump, I look forward to to "injecting" water.
Jim
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Anthony,
Not familiar with your foundry's process, but you did say
...go back to castings for the bodies given recent success with my foundry.
indicating that you had a process that worked once upon a time. Question is, what changed? Just as a starting point, you could look at the process from a high level and ask "what's different". This type of "fishbone" or "cause and effect diagram" might be helpful.
Porosity Fishbone.PNG
On the other hand, if you haven't used this foundry before
...this is the only time I've ever had anything cast solid so I have no context for if this is to be expected or not. It may be that these are too large to cast solid for this specific foundry's process
then their process may be incompatible (for whatever reason), with your particular parts. And it may not be economical to re-engineer their process, and they may not want to change.

Best regards,
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Today I picked up the latest test pour. After a lot of experimentation with gating and alloys I think we found what works. The testing was all done with the new cored waxes.

I have to machine them to be 100% sure that they’re good, but they’re looking very promising.

Anthony

Both versions of the Standard Injector
Both versions of the Standard Injector
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

An update since last time.

The previously pictured castings were not as pretty internally as they looked on the outside. I sent a few waxes to a different foundry that has a slightly different process and that seemed to be the ticket. The latest samples look beautiful inside and out, even under the microscope.

The plan right now is to have 60 injectors cast ASAP to fulfill the existing pre-orders (the waxes are at the foundry now), then have the remaining 90 cast on their regular schedule so I have them on the shelf for a while. The entire batch will be completed by the TM Triennial.

Folks that pre-paid take priority no matter what. Otherwise, asking me to "put you down for one" is only so I know to contact you when they are in stock on the shelf.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!
Anthony