Couplers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Couplers

Post by hoppercar »

Since when are 1 1/2 scale couplers worth 91 dollars a pair ???
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Re: Couplers

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Well back in 2000, I paid more than 150 for a pair of superscale with a coupler pockets for the front of my steam locomotive that I never built.🤔
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Depends on a few things: (1) what material is it made from (2) how finely detailed are the castings (3) are they assembled and ready to run (4) are they some type of unique casting or style that would not be as common. I understand the rant... I know what you're saying.

It sure does sound high for a set of couplers that you'd install on a common freight car or something like that. With materials costs going up everywhere, I am not surprised that the price has gone up $10/pair or more like that. We buy scrap for our process and it has gone up 2X or more in the past year or two. It leveled out for a little bit, but in the past 6-8 months the cost of scrap has started climbing again. I don't expect it to get lower any time soon.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Tom Bee and Titan/MCC trucks went from like $350 to $535 over the last couple of months. No idea if there was a similar jump in freight car prices.
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

The couplers referenced at $91 are the Tom Bee Online current price. Having recently priced building freight cars, there has been a significant increase in the cost of materials.

Another thing to consider is that most suppliers will make a run of something and not increase prices until the next run (sometimes years afterwards). When this happens, prices seem to jump beyond what the recent price changes justify.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Time to dust off the ol cupola furnace and start pouring iron again
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Anyone looking for a cheap hobby has walked down the wrong aisle.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Fortune magazine, in an article dated July 2021, stated that at that time steel prices were up 215% since March of 2020. That's just a little over a year. The price of hot rolled at the time of the article was $1825, up from $500-$800. (https://fortune.com/2021/07/08/steel-pr ... up-bubble/) Hot rolled is now down to about $1500 (https://www.thefabricator.com/thefabric ... n-to-earth).

It sure hurts, but that's the way it is. And it's not just the price of materials. Everything else has gone up as well (although my Social Security check is lagging well behind! :cry: )

Barry Hauge used to get flack from time to time about his prices, but those prices were set in part based on what it cost, including the overhead, research time, etc., etc. When I was teaching at the university one of the things I'd have my advanced students do is create a "cost of doing business analysis." When they added everything up they were surprised to discover how much they had to charge in order to make a living.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As I would like to say...."try make a couplet for $90"

The last copper boiler I quoted to a friend had $1000 worth of copper and silver solder in it..he quickly began to understand why a $3000 boiler was a bargain once he saw the price of materials, formers, acetylene (gasp!) and whatnot.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:49 pm Anyone looking for a cheap hobby has walked down the wrong aisle.
Amen!!
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

The problem is not how much couplers cost. The real problem is that a dollar is worth less and less.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I have purchased all the expensive parts for my locomotive. I would never be able to start the project today. The last thing I need will need is a boiler. I need to start saving up.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.