Lifting transfer table.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Vance Nickerson

Lifting transfer table.

Post by Vance Nickerson »

I've built several hydraulic system that will go as high as six feet and need to build three more. The hydraulic system prices are as you know high. How about some pictures of some screw powered or even some I have seen winch powered. Email is nickersonvance@gmail.com

Vance Nickerson
ChuckHackett-844

Re: Lifting transfer table.

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

I once built a large lift table that used four 1" acme screws. Worked well but there was a hidden danger.

The screws do not ware out but the nuts can ware out and, unless you grease and inspect them regularly you will get a surprise when one corner of the table suddenly drops a bit. This happened one time and, upon inspection the inside of the nut was as smooth as if it had been bored out on a lathe - no threads.

The table is still in use but the nuts are now inspected and replaced regularly.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Guess the hydraulics from gasoline service stations are now totally unavailable
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Vance Nickerson

Post by Vance Nickerson »

Lift does need to be moveable.
Attachments
One of several
One of several
IMG_22052022_075154_(400_x_400_pixel).jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ah...transfer as opposed to turn table...
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

Bill they are still available they are called air over hydraulic single and dual post lifts in the ground they are available. I just checked,so yes service stations have gotten away from them but they use side post lift now they are less expensive to install and use but there are hard to use if not familiar with.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Good to hear because I was under the impression (at least in the area where I live) that they were no longer being installed...you could use one that you have but no new installs allowed.
macgiver57

Post by macgiver57 »

Hey Vance have you considered a single acting hand pump and a small bore cylinder? should be cheaper than a linear actuator .
BillF

Post by BillF »

Just a comment on the old-style in-floor cylinder garage lifts: They were banned in new installations due to concerns about un-detected hydraulic fluid leaks into the ground. (That's why all the hydraulic cylinders in new lifts are out in plain sight.) I acquired one about ten years ago from a gentleman in Alva, Oklahoma, who would have been a good target for "American Pickers." My track never got to a sufficiently complex stage to use the turntable lift.
rkepler

Post by rkepler »

I'll toss in my hydraulic table, even though you're looking for non-hydraulic options. I considered various other lift options but all lists have their issues and in the end I went hydraulic for the speed.

I made this from a surplus (bought for $400) 1000 pound lift table from Vestil. It's battery powered and pretty handy:

https://www.kepler-eng.com/images/lift_progress_15.jpg

I moved the power unit and battery out to the ends, cut and inch and a half from some structure on the sides to get the main beams about 3/4" from the ground. I added .120 wall 1x2 rect tube about 8' long on both sides and relocated the casters to nearer the end on outriggers to increase stability. The 'rails' on the table top are simply bolted in 1x2 hvy wall again with a brace under the table and 1/2x1" solid connecting across the top.

I put my Shay on it:

https://www.kepler-eng.com/images/lift_progress_13.jpg

and it had no problems moving it up & down. There's a little bit of tilt when the scissor under the table switches sides, about 1/4-3/8" at the ends of the rails.

I'm just finishing my loading pad so don't have a lot of time on it.

(I removed the embedded images because the system bitched about the width, sorry but you'll have to click on the links)
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I purchased three electric/Hydraulic Lift Tables off of eBay over several years.

Two were used, one brand new (the yellow one).

The brand new, had no delivery charge, the seller was only 20 miles away, and was happy to bring it over.

The two used had shipping costs almost equal to their cost.

Two are used by the two turntables I constructed, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7Cou5zVi0), the third is my welding/assembly table.
DSCN9422.JPG
DSCN2404.JPG
TURNTABLE #2 - 176.JPG
DSCN0004_2.JPG
IMG_0044_2.JPG
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

This would be a nice step by step project to describe for those of us who are clods with machinery. I have a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table in my shop and it's a Godsend. I'd like to construct one for outdoors, particularly if the dimensions and steel are described.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."