superheater company

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: superheater company

Post by Dick_Morris »

On the image I posted it says commercial pattern letters were to be used. On it's web page, Foundry supplier Mifco says the leading font for pattern letters is Sharp Face Gothic. Freeman Supply, another supplier also offers Sharp Face Gothic pattern letters.
phil davis

Post by phil davis »

Untitled.png
super heater name plate v20.png
not a good screen shot but thanks all for the info next need a drawing of a ALCO builders plate for an FEF 3
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Your question prompted me to see if I could draw and print one. See the post in my S-160 thread for the results.

In the process I looked at a few other patent plates of this style and noticed that they didn't all have the same patent numbers. Either the locomotives were equipped differently or over a period of time some patents expired and others were granted. The good news it that someone would have to be awfully meticulous, knowledgeable, and have extremely good eyesight to tell whether the right numbers were on the plate.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Being in another industry the patent deal was they had a sheaf of the things, necessary to build or construct an item. They would file patents prior to others expiring to protect their products.

Eventually they would all or most expire, thereby allowing other manufacturers to step in and copy and market similar products.