Very Useful Tools

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SPSteam2491

Very Useful Tools

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Want to share with the group some very useful tools for working on steam engines; Cobra Pliers & Pliers Wrench. They are made by Knipex and are available in various sizes as shown in the overview picture. See the links below for a good source to purchase them but they can also be found on Amazon.

***NOTE, I receive no kickback from any sales, just purely want to share good products***

The Cobra Wrenches (1 & 2) have serrations to grip round objects and work really well on brass and copper piping. While they may leave small lines if gripped too tightly, they don't slip and hold their edge over time as compare to locking pliers.

The Pliers Wrenches (3, 4, 5 ,6) are great for tightening brass hex fittings as the jaws are smooth and always stay parallel. Their adjustable ranges allow just the right amount of pressure to be applied to the fittings and really help to prevent slipping off them and damaging them.
While the price for the tools are high, the prevent a majority of damage when assembling or servicing the piping on our miniature engines. Speaking from experience, nothing is worse than taking apart fittings and stripping the piping or squishing the brass fittings that will require a whole afternoon to replace the fittings.

2-Pack with tools #2 & 4. https://www.kctool.com/knipex-00-20-72- ... -2-pieces/

2-Pack with tools #1 & 3. https://www.kctool.com/knipex-00-20-72- ... -2-pieces/

Tool #5. https://www.kctool.com/knipex-86-03-180 ... stic-grip/

Tool #6. https://www.kctool.com/knipex-86-03-250 ... stic-grip/
Attachments
Overview of various sizes
Overview of various sizes
Cobra Plier in action on 1/4" brass tubing.
Cobra Plier in action on 1/4" brass tubing.
Plier Wrench in action on a 1/4" Union.
Plier Wrench in action on a 1/4" Union.
Plier Wrench in action on a valve bonnet.
Plier Wrench in action on a valve bonnet.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Odyknuck

Re: Very Useful Tools

Post by Odyknuck »

Interesting tools. I have never used this type before, typically Channel locks are the go to tool. I prefer line wrenches for fittings. Might be worth buying a few of these. Which ones do you use most?
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

I've used Channel lock styles before and noticed you need to be more careful with those tools to prevent rounding nuts or stripping piping.

I use the number 4 wrench the most, followed by the number 3 wrench as all I'm doing now is taking apart hex fittings. The number 2 wrench is great to have when assembling brass tubing as it grips it very well without damaging it. I would recommend the #2 & 4 pack as identified above for starting out (maybe a good Christmas gift too).
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Cool, I just looked on Amazon and the #2 & 4 set are 90 bucks with free shipping with Prime.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I use the #2 at work, and my colleagues use the #4 as well as the miniature version of it.

I don't have the #4, just because I haven't ordered one. My role changed some time back and I don't really have much a need for these tools in the workplace.

But I do have a few sizes of the #2 at home as well... Amazing tools. You get what you pay for. I also have Knipex Snap Ring pliers that I use for my rocket motors and let me tell you, watching others fiddle faddle with the interchangeable tip type makes me happy that I have two snap ring pliers so that I don't have to mess with the frustration of sloppy fits, missing tips, etc.

Once I get my full garage shop set up I hope to pick up some quality mechanic tools. For now, I pick up what I need as I need it for my hobbies.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

So with the slip of the finger, I ordered the 2-4 set off Amazon today. I couldn't help it I tell ya!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I have 1 and 2 myself, along with some larger versions of them and they come in so handy! Here they’re sold as water pump wrenched but they work for so much stuff. They grab so much better than channel locks for me
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Terr1bleone

Post by Terr1bleone »

I will second John on this, the no4 pliers wrench is all I use on miniature hex bolts. The cobra style pliers have replaced my snap on slip joints. The cobra pliers have a unique jaw style where if you are gripping tubing you don’t even need to squeeze them, you could probably just push or even stand on the top handle n they will hold. - Mike
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Nice work.

Hmmm, meant for a different thread
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

As someone who owns a wide variety of Knipex tools I can tell you that you might pay a little more for them, but they are well worth it. I use them in my machine repair business as well as around the house. The Alligator and cobra pliers jaw design grip well on bolts/nut they don't round off the corners like other brands can. The Plier wrench I kind of thought were a gimmick at first now I own 3 pair of them. I have not found a tool of theirs that does not perform very well, I own somewhere around 40 or 50 or so of their tools, cutters, strippers, crimpers, needle nose, etc. check out their twin grip pliers, unbelievable grip on stripped fasteners. No affiliation with them or their suppliers. Just saying if you want quality tools give them a shot.
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Yes, I have always had good luck with their tools. I have around 20 pairs of the snap ring pliers. My #2 and #4 came in today.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

always enjoy seeing interesting tools that others use! Appreciate the links.