Sweet Creek Mogul Boiler Question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JR May

Re: Sweet Creek Mogul Boiler Question

Post by JR May »

For what it might be worth, I am waiting for price from a code shop to not only shorten the boiler, but to also replace the firebox. Fairly sure at this point that the box has an issue so might as well fix it properly. This will ensure that the water flow issue is addressed and that the idea that this is a code boiler is maintained.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

might be cheaper to start over.....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JR May

Post by JR May »

My experience is that there is a significant cost to engineering and materials associated with a code boiler. Better off, in most cases, repairing or modifying versus new when it comes to a code boiler.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

keep up appraised of your progress....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

does the new work that needs to be done, need to be done in a manner so as to maintain the code stamp?

Sure it started out as a code boiler, but there's probably no reason for the shortening, firebox work to be done in a manner that will retain the code rating. that'll just increase $$ spend.
JR May

Post by JR May »

I have been gathering some pricing to address the issues with the boiler. There are two primary issues:

1) Its too long for my chassis - to address this by a R-Stamp shop would be in the $6K range, but that includes some NJ required changes such as the addition of a fusible plug. Based on experience, that is not a bad price.

2) The firebox has an issue and needs to be addressed - to have this work done, by an R-Stamp shop, would be somewhere under $10K. The boiler would then match the NB paperwork as to firebox dimensions and the water flow issue would be solved.

Again, the above maintains the Code nature of the boiler.

For those who have no need for a code boiler, but have a Sweetcreek in need of a boiler, even a max of $10K for the code work to replace the firebox is a good deal. As I recall, not maintaining the code nature of the boiler would probably save 30% or more on the price of the work.

Supposedly, these code boilers were selling new in the $7K to $9K range. If one needed a Sweetcreek boiler on the cheap, code or not, then this boiler might work. Let me know if you have an interest in it. jrmay@monmouth.com

J.R. May
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Why do you need to maintain the code nature of the boiler?

Have you tried giving someone like Marty Knox, Wayne Godshall, etc a call and see what they would charge for the work?
I'd think a brand new sweet creek boiler - non code- would be under 10K for an entire brand new boiler.

I don't think there's really any benefit to having a code boiler operating at live steam tracks in the US.
JR May

Post by JR May »

Berkman, it all depends on where one wants to run their engine and the state you are in. RMI went to a code boiler at some point. I am not sure what drove that, but they did. Public running (not talking a club track) of a boiler this size in NJ requires a code boiler. For my application, a code boiler is required. If someone wants to have a non stamp shop do the work, that is fine with me. They would have a cheap non-code Sweetcreek boiler.