Erie triplex, Chris Brew

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Erie triplex, Chris Brew

Post by FLtenwheeler »

I was on the old board looking at some information and came across a post by Chris Brew that there is an Erie triplex up and running.

What scale is it, were is it at, and are there any pictures.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
cbrew

Re: Erie triplex, Chris Brew

Post by cbrew »

Hi Tim,
Yes there is an Erie Triplex up and running, it is 1.6" scale and is located in the pacific north wet. I do not have any pictures yet; it ran for a few weeks at the end of last season. But I did not have my camera on me at the time.
I know the gentleman, and will see if I can get some pics.
BTW it is planned to be at Train Mountain in June
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
highiron999

Post by highiron999 »

This engine is owned by David Elliot, a member of the So. Oregon Live Steamers in Medford Oregon. David's dad was a live steamer, so he has been into this from the ground up. David actually worked for So. Pacific RR for four years while they still operated stem engines, and he has some great ideas, learned while working on and observing real steam operations. I believe his first building project was this tri-plex engine. What a way to get started! I also believe he has a SECOND engine of similar design. He mainly operates a DD40 of his own design and construction, that is very unique in design and performance. At 2100 lbs., it is a real work horse and has the advantage of David's considerable knowledge of hydraulic systems, including the PROPER use of filters. This engine has a TWO speed system that really taps the available power fron a two cylinder Briggs engine. This engine is available from David and several operate in commercial service on 7.5 inch RR's. He rides sidesaddle, sitting ON TOP of this engine, with his small dog on his lap and the dog is dressed in a custom made engineer's outfit complete with hat. He can be seen Sundays pulling the public at Medford and he's very interesting to talk with. Finally, he has a unique oil firing system in his tri-plex, that is based on his years with SP. This includes a regulator that automatically adjusts the firing rate to match steam demand. This system also prevents blowing out the fire under loads and improves the use of heat energy by creating a combustion chamber in the lower portion of the firebox. ALL air is introduce at the burner nozzle to reduce cold air spots in the firebox. There is a plate covering the bottom and diverging toward the rear, ending at a half section of pipe that turns the fire up and toward the front to evenly distribute the heat. The section in the lower portion of the firebox allows for comlpete combustion before actually entering the firebox, reducing lost energy up the stack in the form of unburned combustibles. This is what I remember from my talks with David about 5 years ago, as well as a few phone conversations, so this may not ALL be 100% accurate. However, I'm confident that this is pretty darn close. Hope this helps all concerned. Highiron999/Leonard Evans
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hi Leonard,
You do not have the same guy, so there is two Erie Triplex’s in the state of Oregon,
I gentleman I am talking about it Larry Anderson (I hope I spelled his name right).
We are members of PNLS in Molalla OR, just south of Portland
It would be nice to see both of those beasts together at Train Mountain this June!!!
Any ways
Happy steaming
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
triplexJames

Post by triplexJames »

I was the one that put the post on the old board about the triplex. I live in Iowa and have started to collect parts to build, Erie 5014. I have all the wheels, frames and side rods. I'm working on the 2 water pumps that are on the side of the boiler. I would also like to see the pics of the triplex that are running.
themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Post by themnax »

pix of either of the 7.5 ga triplex's or the dd40 would be great to see - or links to either of them if the're already up somewhere. i'm sort of half way thinking i might have seen one of the dd40 in question somewhere though i don't for the life of me remember where - maybe one of the 'northwet' clubs webpages? ...
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)