Thanks to the people at Mid South!!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PeterCraymer

Thanks to the people at Mid South!!

Post by PeterCraymer »

To all at Mid South Last weekend, Thanks for putting on a great weekend. My boys and I drove 5hrs to spend 7hrs and drive back 5hrs and had a blast. A special thanks to Alan & Tim who took us behind their double-header so we could ride behind STEAM. I also want to thank Bill Conner (anyone have a way to contact him?) for his unwarranted offer to run his beam engine. We unfortunately had to leave before this opportunity was fulfilled, but the offer was greatly appreciated! The openness (is that a word?) of fellow live steamers and their kindness to a person just officially starting in this hobby is incomparable. I have heard of some clubs being other ways, but ALL of the people I spoke with from Mid-South, NGLS, St. Louis Live Steamers and whereever last Friday were kind and willing to entertain my long list of questions. I know this may sound like BS, but I have been to many model railroad shows and people don't even want to let you look at some of their antiques or models unless you have $ flowing out of your pockets. And Don't even think about touching something. We went to a place full of "strangers" and without even knowing my name, someone offered to let me run his loco because we spoke and shared common depth and desire about the hobby. I know he has a lot more involved in building and running that train than any of those idiots with their small electric antiques!!! Anyway enough soap box action, my only regret was i did not meet that famed Unka Jesse. I guess it will have to wait!

Peter
AlanWoodyard

Re: Thanks to the people at Mid South!!

Post by AlanWoodyard »

Mr. Craymer,

You're very welcome. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Feel free to contact me via email (swbchevy@midsouth.rr.com) if you need any help on your locomotive. I might not be able to answer everything but I can sure try.

See you in the spring----

Alan
Lon T.

Post by Lon T. »

I had the pleasure of visiting the Mid-South track on the Saturday before Labor Day and, even though there was not an official meet going on, I was also treated to the same welcome and hospitality. I met a guy named Scott who let me run his 0-4-0 coal fired loco, which was a blast! I also met Bill & let me take his beam engine for a couple of laps. I found out later that he builds & sells those little beam engines (Dear Santa...) so I hope that I get to talk with him again in the future.

I have only been in the hobby for a little more than a year, and that has been off & on due to some demanding times at work, but it never ceases to amaze me how friendly and helpful live steamers are. I've been working on a little gas powered critter/motorcar (same frame, body to be determined) and I have gotten a wealth of suggestions and advice from everyone I've met. I joined Largo Central in Florida, and was running a loco and motorcar that day.

I would never be the least bit offended by someone who was protective of their loco (knowing the amount of time and money that could go into a loco or even rolling stock), yet most people welcome the curious with open arms.

Thanks to all in this wonderful hobby!
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Peter, Alan, the Newbie Project should be perfected by spring and both of you are welcome to take it for a spin around the track. We were having trouble with the water and all that oil on everything, but I believe I have the solution at hand. I need to figure out a gas valve that is controlled by steam pressure and I think that will take care of the excessive water loss which required constant resort to the hand pump at times. The new valve faces should stop the oiling and steam loss, I hope!

Happy that you and the boys had a blast, Peter.

Unka(Peter, you don't know how well off you are by not having to see me face to face, it ain't a pretty sight as Alan can tell you)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb