Sched 40 pipe

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tailshaft56

Sched 40 pipe

Post by tailshaft56 »

Just bought a 4 ft section of schedule 40 pipe. It's only .096 wall thicknes seems alitle thin when compared to Bob Reedy's boiler plans. me thinks the GREENHORN just had a twelve dollar lesson in the school of hard knocks. Looks like the proper thickness is about .560. Guess I'll use achunk to build a grinder stand.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
gwrdriver

Re: Sched 40 pipe

Post by gwrdriver »

The steel in a model boiler shouldn't be under 1/4" no matter what, and 5/16" is even better. This isn't for strength, the .096 would have enough strength, but to provide for corrosion allowance.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dennis,

I think you would be wise to return to your supplier and ask them to make good on your purchase. Schedule 40 pipe has a greater wall thickness than that unless the piece you purchased is only ½" pipe. Going out on a limb, assuming you're speaking of 8" schedule 40 pipe, wall thickness would be .322". The largest pipe I can find in my reference that would have near the wall you speak of (.096") is 4", and it is what is called 5S pipe. Schedule 40 4" pipe has a wall of .237".

Run of the mill pipe is not likely to meet specs for boilers, so you may wish to give that some thought, too. There are specific metals that are designated, made and certified for boiler construction. That's not to say that run of the mill items won't work, but they are not certified to do so. You may be putting your safety at risk with common pipe.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

What you have there is #12 gauge thin wall pipe. (.096 is the lower tolerance thickness for #12 gauge) You could use it for your boiler...but you're going to have LOTS and LOTS of stays.

If the purchase order says SCH40, definatly take it back.

What I use as a quick reference guide to standard metal sizes is the on-line catalog from PDM Steel. It's very complete in it's contents.

http://www.pdmsteel.com/

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Dennis:

This is what 8" schedule 40 looks like...

Also, in a locomotive, weight is a good thing. Heavier is
better.

BG
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

When laying out a boiler using sch40 where does one need to locate the seam? Does it matter? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

You really should be using seamless pipe,
am i right guys?
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

I think it was also Bob Reedy in Live Steam magazine who published a table on his mogul regarding tensile and pressure on butt,lap and seamless pipe and if memory serves either welded variety was good to well over 1200psi. maybe?
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I have never known any design, or respected designer or builder, to specifiy anything other than seamless pipe for a model boiler, when pipe is called for, for either steel or copper boilers. Of course pipe isn't always called for, as in the case of a rolled barrel, and then people don't always use what's specified. Persoanlly I don't know enough about the design and qualities of steel pipe to take a position on whether welded is just as good for the purpose as seamless. Those who have taught me about steel boilers (primarily Paul Brien - Jesse) have never used anything but seamless boiler grade pipe and firebox grade plate.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Peter:

The real answer is ... put the seam where you won't be drilling
or boring any openings in the pipe in or close to the seam.
(The pipe I'm using is not seamless.)

Bill
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

Bill, Marty, Jesse, anyone wish to comment?? Bill's pic clearly shows a seam, so he and I may be in the same boat and should know before going any further. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Bill_Gardei

Post by Bill_Gardei »

Peter:

Yes my pipe has a seam. And yes I will be using it for
my boiler.

BG