Need help with electronic sounds

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ejgold

Need help with electronic sounds

Post by ejgold »

I am looking for a way to make an electronic steam engine bell sound. I need to find a sound board or a sound chip that has this sound. I want to install on my Allen Mogul so I have a bell sound that can be herd. I would like to run it from a battery and have a manual switch to turn it on and off.

Does anyone know a source for the sound board or sound chip? Any other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Eric J. Gold
goldfamily@peoplepc.com
303-741-2500
fax 303-7841-2506
Craig

Re: Need help with electronic sounds

Post by Craig »

The following are two different ideas that I use on two of my diesels
1. electronic sound card from HO train, $19.95 Radio amplifer their cheapest one, in catalogue has never been on display in store. They have been in back when I asked for them. Diesel has engine sound, bell, & horn. Also have steam sounds.
The bigger the speaker the better I have used 5 1/4 square and 6 by 9, also seen 10" you need them installed in a box for best sound. Toggle sw to operate and potiemeter for volume.
2. One I have a continious tape with a tape recorder with a real train recorded using the above sound system great sound.
3. My steam engine has a small bell mounted on front underneath with a timed circuit made up.
4 . I also have a 10" dia fire alarm bell the bell system has been modified & using the same timed system as #3, also they have a pot. for time adjustment.
I am not at home so I do not have any model numbers or etc.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Craig,
Similar to your item #2, I have a small CD walkman in a stock car with an automotive amplifier and speakers. The stock car also carries a motorcycle battery and a 3-mode battery charger. The battery also powers an pump for air brakes on the train and the loco headlight and cab lights.

I burned a CD with various animal sound tracks. I downloaded .wav files from whatever web sites I could find and made up my own sound track. Keeping everything digital eliminated analog sound problems. I figured the use of the CD would outlast any audio cassette tape. Besides, this arrangement also allows me to play RR music, bluegrass and other RR style music when I get tired of the cows, horses, pigs, sheep, chickens and turkeys. cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Craig

Post by Craig »

I am still in the last century!! Ha Ha
I have also played some music and have a tape that has train crew talk fun to leave sound on while the engine is sitting or going through the yard with it on..
I have seen two different cattle cars that had a remote control, the owner would stand back and watch for someone to start looking close at his car--then he would hit the sound and watch the reactions. Looked like great fun.
It sure is fun not to have to grow up!!
Thanks for the CD ideas.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Craig,
I don't leave the "modules" in my stock over the Winter at the club. I bring them home and occasionally plug in the battery charger to top-off the battery. I thought I'd go down to the basement and snap a photo of the three modules that fit in the stock car for you and anyone else that's interested.

In the right hand module, you can see the CD player on top. The auto amplifier is located directly underneath (can't really be seen in the photo). I took a piece of PVC pipe to make the sound tube on the bottom. There are two speakers in the center of the tube sitting back to back. Oh yeah...the cow's can easily be heard across the railroad 7+ acres. It's neat when you watch member personal videos and hear the cows (or other) in the background. cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!