Cheap electric controller

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jeff

Cheap electric controller

Post by Jeff »

For those of you building your own electric loco and in need of a controller. I found these factory remaufactured Curtis controllers for $220. I use the 1204 myself and thought others might be interested. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img] web page
willjordan

Re: Cheap electric controller

Post by willjordan »

I found a source of inexpensive controllers at Diversified Electronic Services. Seem to be good to deal with. I bought a 24vdc 30A controller with a single ended throttle for about $100. Their fifty amp unit goes for about $150. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't say much more at this time, but I thought it was worth trying since the price seemed pretty good.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

4QD makes controllers of all types, even with regenerative braking if desired. They can be found at www.4qd.co.uk/. For those that wist to learn something about electronic controllers, this site is a gold mine of information, with more than 100 pages of theory, discription of product, and application. Anyone with a bit of electronic background will find it extremely informative. Prices aren't bad either. I plan to try their product soon, and if works out well, I will have it on 3 locos.
Tom_Wade

Post by Tom_Wade »

His description of "fire emitting transistors" is a classic!
Superberky1204

Post by Superberky1204 »

I have one of 4qd controllers in my 1.5 in Mack rail bus.

Bus weighs 250 pounds plus a flat car or gon carring 1 or 2 people.

Fair price, works great. Go to their site and figure out what you need and order from the guy here in the south eartern USA. The only item I had a problem with was a blown fuse. They have a 40 amp fuse inside. I put a 30 amp fuse outside the box and it is easier to replace. The only time I blow the fuse is when I pour the power to it. You know "hogger".

Bruce
themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Post by themnax »

very very very interested - still way down the track a bit - wonderin if dim's o them 2 horse traction motors available ...
seem to recall there was a thread on this subject on the old board about a couple of months or so before the move/transition to this one - there was mention of a more economic and local to north america then 4qd - don't remember if that was the same as mentioned above or not
only that one had favorable pricing
interested in all of em
as my own thoughts - argh don't throw that anvil - tend toward other then steam traction - other then scale model and other then having to do or get done a bunch of mechining - although i think the last would be fun if i had means or access and training ...
as well b'now you've seen pix of what i'm thinkin in terms of ...
(some sort of onboard genset to charge the batteries and one of them there controllers to traction motors 1a-a1 b-2 or b-b or maybe b-b with side rods or even some sort of slanting rod drive arraingement as a way of using motors too big to be axil hung (ala swiss croc) - well all possibilities as i'm still pretty much just fantasizing for when and if i ever get the chance to actualy do any of this ... ~;)
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)
themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Post by themnax »

also thought about maybe trickle solar charging them ...
might work if it gets plenty of light all the time it's not runnin and gets run m'bee one day a month or two - just another of my wierd goofy thoughts ...
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)
ng262_262

Post by ng262_262 »

Will, THANKS for the web site reference. The Diverse equipment sure looks good and their prices are really attractive. I am looking for a controller for a 1 hp 24volt motor so would sure be interested in hearing how yours turns out. Brian M.