Where to get insurance???

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Where to get insurance???

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, I finally got The Letter from State Farm. No more coverage for the railroad stuff.

While there were several threads on insurance eariler this year, most of the discussion was on club insurance. But I need personal liability coverage.

Do any of you have coverage (for sure... not just "I think it's under my homeowners"...) and if so, where?

I recall finding something a while back that was about $300 or so per year. Considering that I only run at club tracks about three times a year or so, that works out to about $10 per trip around the track! I need to do better than that. I'm willing to switch all my coverage (auto, home) so it would be a package for an insurer.

And while it's tempting to turn this thread into a slam against lawyers and the tort system, let's try to keep on topic as complaining ain't going to change the system.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Al_Messer

Re: Where to get insurance???

Post by Al_Messer »

I am not trying to sound "smart", but have you contacted Lloyd's of London? Or closer to home, The Maryland Casualty Co.?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Try Auto Owners if they do business in your state. In Michigan they are the only one at the moment covering the hobby through home owners insurance.
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

At some point, Al, it may come to the hobby uniting itself to buy group coverage nationwide. I know the folks who operate organized speeder (sorry Unka Jesse, that's what THEY call them) meets by renting short line roads on weekends have some sort of national coverage. I think it is in the $150 - $200 per year range and is a requirement to run with the groups. The motor car hobby is, on the whole, in the same cost range as the 7.5+/-" gauge railroad hobby once one has the motive power. Charles
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

MOTOR CARS! Charles MOTOR CARS dagnabbit! Speeders is model railroader talk, Fairmont called them MOTOR CARS and by George, that is what I call them!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(Speeders---hummmmmpf!!)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb