West Valley electric locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Ken Schroeder

Re: West Valley electric locomotive

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I built one last winter and am presently building 3 more. I was able to obtain a set of plans from a friend. I made patterns for the journal boxes, wheels and bolsters. I also have the auto-cad drawings presently at the laser cutters doing 3 bodies for me with all the rivet holes laser cut along with the window and door detail. If any one is interested in any of these parts let me know. shaylocomotives@charter.net .

Ken Schroeder
Attachments
20200525_145710.jpg
20200531_132355.jpg
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:15 pm
Update of original post to show pictures since Photobucket is dead.

Here is a 1925 Baldwin-GE Steeple cab that was built as the third group of the West Valley . You can see the Baldwin rolled roof and the cow catcher trucks with outside air brake cylinders. Also the Chicago, South Shore and South Bend Railroad had both pantograph and trolley poles
P6190055  A.jpg
Here is the 24 volt 4 pole wheel chair motor snugly mounted in the motor box in 1991~.
The 3 inch diameter made it the largest that could be used . The hose clamp is used to hold the motor to a "form fitted" block that is keyed to the inside key machined in the motor box. Using heat transfer grease transfer heat to the box efficiently and the key allows parallel gear adjustment
Motor Box and Motor  Top view 03.JPG
The top of the motor box showing the cooling holes in the front and the "plenum " large hole for power ventilation ( not used )
Behind the motor Box, you can see the bottom of another electric motor and the keyed slot for adjusting , and behind that is the Truck Frame and Cow Catcher
Motor Box  23.JPG
Rich
timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Large Scale Central has an excellent series of posts written by Gary Armistead under the topic "1/8th Scale Baldwin Westinghouse Electric Freight Motor". He discusses the process of building new units and retrofitting/upgrading an older LALS unit.

Lots of great information and pictures documenting the process.

Timmy
illigitimi non carborundum
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Timmy, could you post the link to that?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Ken Schroeder wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 pm I built one last winter and am presently building 3 more. I was able to obtain a set of plans from a friend. I made patterns for the journal boxes, wheels and bolsters. I also have the auto-cad drawings presently at the laser cutters doing 3 bodies for me with all the rivet holes laser cut along with the window and door detail. If any one is interested in any of these parts let me know. shaylocomotives@charter.net .

Ken Schroeder
Ken,
We need some spare wheel castings to complete our seven Baldwin electrics. Do you have these available?
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

Gary,

I have the pattern for the wheels. I would have to get them cast as the 24 I just got from the foundry I am using. I will have to see what they cost.

Ken
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Ken Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:57 pm Gary,

I have the pattern for the wheels. I would have to get them cast as the 24 I just got from the foundry I am using. I will have to see what they cost.

Ken
Thank you Ken. Much appreciated. Tim Wheeler (above) just purchased an old Lew Soibelmann Project Baldwin a few months ago and I'm giving him a hand restoring it. He will be using the same electronics that we are using on our seven Baldwins (A system built by John Smith, a member at LALS). It's great to see that these engines are still very popular. Good luck with your kit. Our seven-engine project tarted out as a community college build project to learn MasterCam over 26 years ago!
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993