Could you save your loco?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ehulshiz

Could you save your loco?

Post by ehulshiz »

I was just over on another board, and read a post about a guy whose house burned down, taking everything with it.
I live in an area that is prone to forest fires sweeping into neighborhoods and burning houses, and I got to thinking- How would you save your lokie from fire? For myself the answer is simple. My Falk is only about as big as an overnight bag, and weighs about eighty pounds. I could carry it to the truck and just drive away. But for many of the rest of you, it wouldn't be that simple. The time to think about it is now. Do you have a plan to save your locomotive? It occurs to me that something as simple as a fireproof blanket to wrap your lokie in might be good enough to minimize fire damage, if removal is impossible.
Anyhow, it's obscure, and unlikely, but it could happen.
bcody

Re: Could you save your loco?

Post by bcody »

The only problem I would have is which do I save first, my trains or my steamboat. Both are on trailers and it is just a matter of hooking one to the truck and driving away. Come to think of it I would save my trains first, I have two locomotives and some rolling stock. Much more money there than in the boat. Bill
pockets

Post by pockets »

Hook the train trailer to the truck and chain the boat trailer to the train trailer. In a case like that, you're not going far and the possible fine and/or transmission are cheap, by comparison...Just my $0.02 worth. 'course I'm kind of an independent red neck....
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Pockets, that is exactly what I would suggest. I once saw, on Interstate 40, traveling in excess of 60 mph, a big PU, pulling a travel trailer, pulling a boat! I following him for several miles and he was never pulled over, so doing as you suggest to get out of a fire zone ought to be O.K.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
tomduncan

Post by tomduncan »

Pockets, that is exactly what I would suggest. I once saw, on Interstate 40, traveling in excess of 60 mph, a big PU, pulling a travel trailer, pulling a boat! I following him for several miles and he was never pulled over, so doing as you suggest to get out of a fire zone ought to be O.K.

Al,
You know Unka Jesse sends a portion of his corn spirits to the policeman's ball so that he can pull that rig, Mighty Dodge and all, without worry of being stopped!!!!!!!

Tom
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

What about all the other goodies -- the lathe(s), mill(s), shaper(s), woodworking machines, and tooling. Not to mention the accumulation of paper -- collections of Live Steam, HSM, Model Engineer -- and various books.

In addition to forest/brush fires, California has earthquakes and mud slides. Places near the coasts and south and east of the Appalachians have hurricane seasons every year. Then there is tornado alley in which I live....

Charles
ehulshiz

Post by ehulshiz »

I was thinking more about the "investment" of time and the emotional attachment to the lokie. All the shop machines can be replaced by writing a check. The last time I thought I might have to evacuate, I loaded up photograph albums, and some of my favorite books, and old magazines. I also made sure that my dogs were ready to go. (didn't have a locomotive back then).
BTW- That time, a house just five doors down from mine lost part of the picket fence in his back yard to the fire. That is too close for comfort.
pockets

Post by pockets »

This is precisely why California should be abandoned with all due haste....LOL
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
bcody

Post by bcody »

I'm not a great fan of California due to the influx of shall we say unneeded people and Florida isn't that great either. Weather stinks in the summer with all the heat and humidity and the thought of hurricans every year destroying all you have built doesn't appeal to me either. As most on this BB know I live in Nevada near Reno and we are in the middle of a heat wave, over a week of temperatures in the high 90s or 100+, and yes, we have earth quakes but I'll gladly put up with the earth quakes and high temperatures and not have to worry about humidity and hurricans. BTW - During this heat spell the humidity has been running very low, 10% yesterday. As the story goes, so dry you have to prime the dogs. Bill
bcody

Post by bcody »

What you describe is legal in some states but you must have a CDL. Bill
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Last I knew of someone checking. It was legal in Michigan as long as the total length didn't exceed 65'.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

How did I get in on this discussion? Someone always has to jump on me and make outrageous claims about some mythical liquid lightning I am supposed to be making with the Newbie boiler. I am innocent, innocent I tell you.

As to pulling a trailer behind my camper, I think it is legal to do so in Tennessee as long as the camper is a fifth wheel instead of a pull type. I have never tried pulling a trailer behind the camper so I haven't had to fall back on bribing state troopers with corn squeezings*.

Unka(*Yet!)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb