Curious about a few live steam locomotives

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Hey all,

Curious about a few locomotives/live steamers that I've read about through the years:

1 - Jim Robison - I believe he was from Texas or Oklahoma and had a beautiful ATSF 4-8-4 that I believe was built by Jim Starrett. I know Jim isn't with us any more, but does anyone know where his engine is now?

2 - Dave Boyd from Chicago was building a UP Big Boy. Modeltec showed the photos of Dick Parker using his roll-back truck to winch it out of Dave's basement. Is this engine running yet or nearing completion?

3 - Frank Salinas who was from SW Michigan and built a number of locomotives from what I remember reading in Modeltec through the years. Is he still around? Can anyone fill in the gaps as to what all he built? I know his 4-8-4 was featured on the cover of an early Modeltec and I've heard mention of an 0-8-0, a 4-6-4 and possibly a 2-8-4 that he built as well.

I think about these and others who have built quite a few locomotives such as Dick Thomas out in California who virtually keep the hobby growing by building engines and then passing them on to others.

Any insight into the above builders would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
ccvstmr

Dave Boyd's Big Boy

Post by ccvstmr »

Regarding Dave Boyd's Big Boy...Yes, Dick Parker does have the locomotive, but no progress was made to continue construction, assembly or otherwise. If I remember, there were some design and fabrication problems which had to be addressed before proceeding. No idea if/when work will continue. I believe the photo that appeared in the mag was taken when the loco was moved to the ILS for display during the 25th anniversary meet back in 1992. cb
Will Bleeker

UP Big Boy (Australia)

Post by Will Bleeker »

The Big Boy is a massive undertaking, just last week I was introduced to a bloke who lives in the same town as me who is building one in 5 inch gauge I went to his place last week to drool over it, he has 7 years in it so far and is building it as prototypical as he can, it is one big engine!
Will
slsf1060

Post by slsf1060 »

The Santa Fe Northern was sold to a gentleman on the west coast, and left for points unknown a few years ago. Anyone out there shed some light?

Darren McNeely
Andypullen

Big Boy in Baltimore area

Post by Andypullen »

Hi Rob,

There's a Big Boy being built by a man in the CALS here in Baltimore. He's moving right along with it from the pics I've seen of it.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

To all,

Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone briefly explain how to insert or attach a photo to a post? I have pictures of an awesome C&O 2700 series 2-8-4 in 1.5" scale that I want to brag about (not mine, however) :cry:

Thanks in advance,

Rob Gardner
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Rob Gardner wrote:
Can anyone briefly explain how to insert or attach a photo to a post?
To post one as an attachment, please refer to the FAQ, which you can do by clicking on the FAQ at the top of this page. It's easy----even I have managed to post one, and I'm far from computer literate.

Harold

Post by Guest »

If memory serves me correctly, Frank Salinas built five 1.5" scale locomotives. An 0-8-0, I believe (2) 4-6-4, a 4-8-4 and a 2-8-4. His whistles were very nice. I have not seen Frank at a meet in the last few years. Frank is a retired Grank Trunk Western engineer who service dated back to the days of steam.
Dick_Melcher

Post by Dick_Melcher »

Rob,
You raise an interesting point. I lived for several years in Medford Oregon. One of the more prolific builders who is probably not often recognized is Gerry Bowden of Grants Pass Oregon. I think he has constructed close to 50 locos in his building days.

Also someone mentioned a Big Boy, Floyd Epperson who is now deceased built a Big Boy and my understanding it is at Riverside Live Steamers.
Rowland

Re: Curious about a few live steam locomotives

Post by Rowland »

Dick_Melcher wrote:.....Floyd Epperson who is now deceased...
Dick,

How long ago did Floyd pass away? I've been out of the loop apparently and missed notices on his passing.

Thanks,
Rowland
Dick_Melcher

Post by Dick_Melcher »

To the best of my knowledge it was late last year when Floyd passed away. Nice guy and just an outstanding builder.

Dick
Rob Gardner

Big Boy

Post by Rob Gardner »

Did Floyd build his Big Boy from available castings such as Roger Goldmann's or did he build it from scratch? Is the engine still running or is it in limbo since his passing?