Winton locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rephil

Re: Winton locomotive

Post by rephil »

I notice this is an old thread and it's wandered a bit, but FWIW, Winton Brown's Engineering Data is avaliable by a link on the IBLS web site to a PDF at the Golden Gate Live Steamers.

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... ering_Data

Phil M
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Charles Wiegand
552 Green Briar Rd.
West Liberty, KY 41472
Phone: (606) 522-3390
Email: gscale@mrtc.com

As I stated on another thread on this forum.

Charles has bought all the patterns and castings. Don't waste your time calling. He is extremely hard of hearing to the point I just emailed him. He quickly responded. Unfortunately he told me he is having a hard time finding a foundry to do any more castings. Maybe by this writing he has found one.

Steve Kuhn
keyrouteken

Post by keyrouteken »

Here are a some rare photos of Winton Brown taken years ago. At one time, Winton was President of the Golden Gate Live Steamers. He lived in Danville, CA-- near Walnut Creek. Before getting into Live Steam, Winton was in the HO-scale business, as shown by the attached photo.
Winton and his wife "des Neige" operated Winton Engineering Company.
Winton was a mechanical engineer by trade. He brought a set of finely honed engineering skills to the company, designing his locomotives for maximum strength, maximum weight on the drivers and easy, modular construction.

Winton Brown and Larry Barker, two extraordinary live steamers, augmented their activities by starting and operating a Kiddie Amusement Park at Danville, California. Winton owned and operated the small merry-go-rounds such as the airplanes and miniature autos, while Larry transferred his entire live steam railroad, 1-1/2 inch scale, from Portland, Oregon to Danville where he entertained the kids as well as adults on a 1,100 foot track. They really enjoyed doing this.
Update: In later years, Larry Barker moved his entire 7 1/2-inch gauge railroad from Danville to Laytonville, CA where he was operating a Christmas tree farm last Ken Shattock heard. I don't know if he is still among the living !

Cheers.
Ken Shattock
IBLS
Attachments
The cover of a WINTON catalog.
The cover of a WINTON catalog.
Comparison of 1 1/2-inch and 3-inch scales.
Comparison of 1 1/2-inch and 3-inch scales.
Winton and his wife "des Neige".
Winton and his wife "des Neige".
Copy of WINTON "HO-catalog"...
Copy of WINTON "HO-catalog"...
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

I've been conversing with Charles Wiegand, and he asked that I post the following information.
I have gotten high power Bluetooth hearing aids and an iPhone to receive calls direct to the hearing aids. The new number is (606) 548-0200. I met Winton Brown at his shop in Danville, CA in June of 1970 when he was about to retire. I purchased his demo Bolus GN road switcher with fiberglass body and 4 HP gasoline engine. I sold it to the Magic Age of Steam in DE who sold it to a man that runs it at the Penna. Live Steam club after re-gauging it to 7.25" I still have lots of castings for the 1.5" scale Winton line plus castings and patterns for the Mammoth Locomotive Works of CO 2.5" scale narrow gauge C-16 2-8-0 and a 2 axle 30 ton side rod switcher that used a Cat diesel engine and was DRGW #50 but other roads had them with and without side rods. John of Mammoth Locomotive Works still sells the Winton 3" and 5" scale lines of Live Steam locomotives. I know about 2 different foundries that do castings in the Live Steam hobby but neither of them are close to eastern KY. One is near Lancaster, PA and one is near Medina, OH. Any other foundry suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The foundry must have a furnace hot enough to melt gray iron. Winton had 3 different types of 1.5" scale trucks that I have some castings and most patterns for.

I am willing to sell what castings I have or even the entire business including existing castings, patterns, rights, Winton Locomotive web site URL in reserve but not active right now, web site contents and additional photos, a more recent catalog, drawings, velum, and digital drawing files, and some small detail parts added by the group that took over the line after Winton released it. The sale does not have to be all for cash but could include machine shop services. I would prefer to keep the 2.5” scale Mammoth Locomotive line until I get a chance to build from those parts. My son Tim in central OH is interested in a Little Engines original ALCO northern especially if it has a centipede tender or a NKP Berk both in 7.5” scale although we prefer 1.6” scale but only custom built Live Steamers are available in that scale. There is a catalog of sorts in the web site page files that is not on line now. I also have spread sheets of the inventory of castings and patterns with old prices based on foundry cost about 2005.

Thank You,

Charles Wiegand
552 Green Briar Rd. (In Crockett)
West Liberty, KY 41472
Phone: (606) 548-0200
Email: gscale@mrtc.com
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Hello folk,
I'm putting the finishing touches on a Winton 1.5" mogul. Engine is complete but the tender is still a work in progress. Winton did many things right, but did us no favors with a cast aluminum tender shell and frame. Machining a mating surface on something bigger that my milling table makes me wonder how he expected a first time builder to machine the two mating surfaces. At any rate, my question is this: How many moguls in 7-1/2" gauge did he and later owners make? In other words, how many of these engines are out there. By the way, the piston valve design for the steam admission valves is shear genius! One wonders why it never was more widely used? Of course without rings on the valve body, you do have to lap the cylinder into the bore. We'll have to see how long that lapped fit lasts.. Lastly, I would like to thank all of you readers who respond to all the queries on this forum, you have provided a treasure trove of information to many of us. Thanks!
Bob Rauperstrauch