Winton locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

steamin10

Winton locomotive

Post by steamin10 »

There once was a locomotive maufacturer called Winton, in Kansas. Does anybody know what happened to the patterns and the line of materials they promoted? I think it was a pre-1900
Mogul and Consolidation built from common parts. They used the cinder sticker Diamond Stacks on their models. Anybody throw some history on the line, or where parts and pieces went?

Along the same lines, does anybody have any kowledge of a Foundryman named Harold Bakes. He seems to have had a line of engines and parts, for both stationary and rail steam. He hailed from Kansas too, and wonder if he had anything to do with the Winton lococmotive line. Either post or E'me please if you have any bits or bytes of info.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i have an old catalog for Winton in California that made 7+ and 15+" engines as you describe. they were very nice engines; i've seen one built by Lee Weiland who has been fetured in LS recently. he said the co. went under or the owner died. Lee supposidly got the last set of castings.
fred v
Doug_Edwards

Winton Engineering

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Winton Engineering was started by the late Winton Brown who was located in Danville, Ca. The mogul was a well designed loco, and used out side admission piston valves in a steam chest that outwardly looked like a chest
for a D valve. This was done to spare the valve gear the friction of a unbalanced D valve. The design was heavy and robust. I remember others having the line after Winton sold it, and beleive it is currently handled by Mammoth loco.

The Winton catalog from the 60's had a section in the back with engineering data for live steam, that was at the time worth the catalog just by itself. I picked a copy off ebay a couple of years ago.

I happened to come accross a wood cut of what I beleive to be the prototype for the mogul in a book I think was called something like "American locomotive engineering".

The first entry I know of for Winton into the modeling arena was a ho locomotive kit for a 2-6-6-6. The kit was popular as he used a heavy cast brass boiler, allowing the loco to pull well. Winton passed away a little over 10 years ago in his 80's.

Doug.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

In the 1960's, if you were building a loco from scratch which wasn't adaptable from a LE design, the Winton catalogue engineering section was considered the bible and most people I knew used it to design parts of their locos, especially boilers. I can't be sure about this but IIRC the original Railway Supply Co. catalogues republished this information.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
srrl5

Winton Engineering & RRSC

Post by srrl5 »

In the early Seventies Chet Peterson was going in partners with Winton. But Chet took to long to get the doors open and Winton pulled out. Which is how RRSC ended up with the engineering data for live steam. Without a ready made product line from Winton Chet got ahold of the CP 173 drawings and started with that. I was one of the first employees of RRSC.

David
mbrusso39

Post by mbrusso39 »

check this link http://mammothlocomotiveworks.net/ The currently available Winton catalog is also available on line. I am good friends with the owner. A great line. . . lots of castings mimimizes fabrication .
steamin10

steam

Post by steamin10 »

ok, Winton is california.
Harold Bakes was a Foundryman in Kansas, and either made a line or picked up the castings and patterns from the foundry he worked at in Boeing territory. He retire at 59, when the foundry closed, and lived some ten years after. Anybody in the Kansas arena know of him?
Dick_Morris

Re: Winton Engineering & RRSC

Post by Dick_Morris »

srrl5 wrote: Without a ready made product line from Winton Chet got ahold of the CP 173 drawings and started with that. I was one of the first employees of RRSC.
Could you expand on the CP-173 a bit? Did their version of the CP-173 exist before RRSC came into being? If so, whose design was it?
srrl5

Re: Winton Engineering & RRSC

Post by srrl5 »

Dick_Morris wrote: Could you expand on the CP-173 a bit? Did their version of the CP-173 exist before RRSC came into being? If so, whose design was it?
I'm not sure where the original drawings or patterns came from, I'll check with a friend who was working there about the same time and see if he remembers. Doug Alkire was involed with some of the redesign, he was the one who designed the welded frame. A lot of redesign was done in house.

David
wbarbe

RRSC American

Post by wbarbe »

I would also be interested in hearing the history of the RRSC 4-4-0. I know Disney was selling his Lilly Belle castings in the 50's/60's, but don't know how many kits were sold. When did Chet start selling his kit? Was it based on the drawings originally produced by Disney or a whole new design? By the way, if anyone knows of a Disney 4-4-0 running anyplace, I would be interested in knowing about it. I am part of the Carolwood group and we are always on the look out for information, photos, etc.
Thanks,
Bill
srrl5

RRSC American

Post by srrl5 »

I worked at RRSC from 1970-73, it seems like the 173 project started around the end of 1970. A few older gentlemen stop buy a number of times, they were building 173's from original Disney parts and drawings. Dick Bagley's grand daughter may still have Dick's 173.

David
Dick_Morris

Re: RRSC American

Post by Dick_Morris »

Was it based on the drawings originally produced by Disney or a whole new design?
I've built the RRSC version and have prints for the Disney version. The two designs are considerably different. If RRSC was based on Disney, there was considerable redesign and it's not evident that the two are related, other than being from the same prototype. IMO, RRSC is a simpler design and should be easier to build, but Disney is truer to the prototype.
I worked at RRSC from 1970-73, it seems like the 173 project started around the end of 1970.
The first ad I found was in the October, 1970, LS, saying, "Ready for the market."
Dick Bagley's grand daughter may still have Dick's 173.
I think I remember seeing his for sale by his son in an ad in LS about 10-15 years ago.