New Arrival

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

New Arrival

Post by Bill Shields »

Just finished rolling it into my basement. Jim (83), Walter (67) and me (54) a BobCat skiploader with forks and a couple of pieces of 1-1/2 CRS for rollers.

Complete with Accu-Rite DRO (fully functional)...

Personally delivered by the previous owner from Huntsville Alabama to Central Delaware...12 hour drive each way...who wanted to be sure it arrived safely.
Attachments
mill2.jpg
mill2.jpg (127.29 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

That's really pretty, Bill. I still have to make a big enough place in my garage fro my new mill. Not a chance to get it in the basement, though, so I'll have to heat the garage as a shop.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

very nice! is it an Index?
fred v
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

Really nice, Bill. Doesn't even need painting! How many milling machines does Delaware allow :) ? I notice the DRO is on the left side.
I see Jim's SB in the background, did he get the plate from Cabin Fever installed?
Regards, Dan
MoeC

Post by MoeC »

Hi Bill: Nice looking mill. Looks as if it was just rebuilt. I have an enco copy of a bridgeport and I don't know how I got along without a knee mill. I can get a 15" smokebox standing verticle on the table. I added both X and Y power drive. Now wish I had a power drive on the knee as well. At 78 & 145 lbs I need all the help I can get. Everone should have such a mill. Moe
srrl5

New Arrival

Post by srrl5 »

Bill,

Didn't you already have two mills?

David
Bill Shields

Mill Answers

Post by Bill Shields »

Jim's SB: Yes on the plate...finally gave up looking for the other one last week, surprised him....

# of mills allowed in Delaware: one more than the number of people that actually know how to use them...

Yes, it is an Index, 1980 vintage, AccuRite DRO, fully working...

Needs a Z crank handle, an X axis locking thingy and a new motor pulley (some putz dropped the motor when changing a belt years ago). Otherwise, good to go...ways are tight, screws have very little backlash and my wife is away for the weekend....!!!!!! :shock:

I have a 1/2 size flung-dung clone that has built 8 locos, a Bridgeport Series II CNC, now this one. Believe it or not, there are times when the CNC is more work than I want to put into a 10 minute job.

Unfortunately, we were too busy rolling it around the stop to stop and take pictures as we went.

Had to move 3 motorcycles, a sandblast booth, Walters 'cattle' (passenger) car, the 5000 PSI air compressor, my loco trolley, 200 # of coal in various buckets and the partridge in a pear tree to get it in place.

Naturally, I have to put the stuff all back before the wife gets home tomorrow night. :roll:

The ultimate hi-tech trade: Cisco 3640 router for a Wells-Index Mill. Go figure....15# of electronics for 2500# of iron....
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

Bill,
OK, I'll fess up, the bit about how many mills does the law allow is just pure envy! :wink: (can you make these icons green?) :lol: Congrats on the new acquisition!
Dan W.
Rob Gardner

What da you do with all them mills?

Post by Rob Gardner »

Alright, already! A guy who's built 8 locos posts a picture of his new mill but hasn't posted any photos, that I'm aware of, of what he builds with them!

I'm sure you make more than chips in your shop, Bill. C'mon, you're just teasing us, aren't you.

Rob
Bill Shields

locos

Post by Bill Shields »

Rob:

I post most of my pictures on www.livesteam.net BBS.

Those that have seen them will attest to the fact that I am not much of a photographer.

Do you REALLY want to see pictures? It's kind of like asking a grandparent.... :shock:

I can oblige pictures of those locos that are still in my basement / posession...the others were before the days of e-pictures and I really don't want to get into converting slides to e-mail.

Help me out here Dan...I really don't want to start posting ugly pictures.
4catmom

Re: locos

Post by 4catmom »

Bill Shields wrote: Help me out here Dan...I really don't want to start posting ugly pictures.
Sorry, Bill, I'm not going to be much help. My camera pooped out at Cabin Fever and I didn't get any good pix at your place.
Dan W.
pockets

Post by pockets »

That's okay, Bill. They can come to Clover's to see the pics.

Regards,
Greg B.