Does Anyone Recognize This Name?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Does Anyone Recognize This Name?

Post by gwrdriver »

Eloda Ray . . . . this person apparently designed a stationary engine or two back in the 1940's. I'm looking for more information.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Harry - this may not help much but it's interesting. I found her in the 1930 census (the most recent one that's available to the public).

Name: Eloda Ray
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Relation to head-of-house: Wife
Home in 1930: Barberton, Summit, Ohio

Her husband -
Name: Alvin W Ray
Estimated birth year: abt 1887

From what I found in genealogical data bases, Eloda was overwhelmingly a female name. Only one popped up in WWI draft registrations cards which are supposed to have captured over 95% of the draft age population. (A similar search for Harry yielded 425,000.)

I did a farily quick check, but didn't find her anywhere else.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Dick,
Thanks, that solves the mystery, or part of it. The copyright on a drawing I've seen is Copyright © Eloda Ray. The title block contains . . . "Drawn by AWR."
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I found an almost illegible copy of Alvin's WWI draft registration. In 1917 he was also a machinist in a match company, but I couldn't make out the company name. He was born in Barberton and was living there when he registered for the draft.
dgjohnsonstein

Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Name?

Post by dgjohnsonstein »

This is a bit late, but yes, I have his/her drawings. I thimk this is a woman, as I see only women coming up on the net with this name. I suspect that her husband may have actually drawn them but she either cleaned them up and "copyrighted" them, or he died first. I am very curious about him/her. I have redrawn them as in actuality, these drawings are awful for today's standards. They are quite messy and difficult to read and very clogged up in some places. However, don't get me wrong--I thimk they are a work of art, they are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I cannot access my drawings as they are in AutoCAD form and AutoCAD Inventer form. Since I am presently in the Philippines, I do not have access to either CAD and cannot send out any prints. Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to put them into bitmap form which I could easily send out. I have the drawings and if anyone has Inventor, I could send them to you. Let me just send the 2D drawings if you want them as the 3Ds are very bulky and SO MANY. I counted the parts once and I thimk there are 156 parts which includes a lot of special bolts (tiny ones). I thimk this could be re-designed, but then it would not be a "Coles-Eloda Ray" Corliss anymore.

I like these toys, but I thimk we as amateurs should be designing new models instead of just playing with the old models. When I get back to the USA, I thimk I will set up a foundry and work on a new Corliss design. I have in mind a Corliss/uniflow hybrid. I understand the Uniflows had serious drawbacks, but still I want to look into it. All problems have solutions (usually). Also, I want to mention that it is MY belief that these engines should DO something, something like run a generator or grind corn or flour.

I am going to make an engine that has above 1 hp to do several things: heat my house in winter, run a bit of electric, and possibly to heat water for showers and/or make tea. One can also cook with steam.

As an important side issue I want to mention that the ICE people managed to crush the builders of steam powered cars for selfish reasons and some reasons of great practicality. However, in the near future (and the now, actually) the steam engine will most likely make a comeback. Look at the methods we use for our ICE machines: Crude is pumpt out of the ground, moved to a refinery where a large bite of it is used to refine itself, then shipt to distribution points, then shipt to selling points where we pump it into out cars. Then engine of the ICE runs constantly or it cannot run without starting it. However, the steam engine can be run on buffalo chips, grass, wood, coal, hair and toenails and anything at all that burns. The Stanleys used parrafin which is very good as in a car wreck it cannot explode and is even unlikely to burn without a wick. The ICE engine only has enough power at high engine speeds to move a car or do any other work. But a steam engine has it's greatest torque (circular force) at precisely zero RPMs. The steam engine can be turned to zero RPMs when stopt at a stop light and there is no need to 'start' a steam engine but only to turn a steam valve. A large steam plant in a car could rip the rubber right off the wheels.

As far a pollution goes, we must look at the TOTAL system, that is, for ICE, the drilling, pumping, refining and final use in this whole system. For steam, however, it is quite different, or at least CAN be different. We can pick our own buffalo chips and there need not be any refining waste.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Since the this thread started, the 1940 census has been released. she was still married to Alvin and they still lived in Barberton, Ohio an Akron suburb. She had no occupation, he was an engineer in a match factory. He had 8 years of education, she had 4 years of high school.

I found a index of obits saying she died 3/11/1954.

From "Catalog of Copyright Entries 1947 Works of Art Etc. Jan-Dec 3D Ser Vol 1 Pts 7-11A" from the U.S. Government Printing Office. I don't know the significance of it being listed under his name but with her having the copyright -

RAY, ALVIN W.
Model stationary engine Corliss type.
Dwgs. nos. 1-14. Mechanical drawings.
© Eloda Ray, Barberton, O.; 6Jun3 7;
I 1895.

Diamond Match had a factory in Baberton. A search didn't show any photos of a steam engine there, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some similarity.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

dgjohnsonstein wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:29 pm This is a bit late, but yes, I have his/her drawings. I thimk this is a woman, as I see only women coming up on the net with this name. I suspect that her husband may have actually drawn them but she either cleaned them up and "copyrighted" them, or he died first. I am very curious about him/her. I have redrawn them as in actuality, these drawings are awful for today's standards. They are quite messy and difficult to read and very clogged up in some places. However, don't get me wrong--I thimk they are a work of art, they are wonderful.

Unfortunately, I cannot access my drawings as they are in AutoCAD form and AutoCAD Inventer form. Since I am presently in the Philippines, I do not have access to either CAD and cannot send out any prints. Unfortunately, I did not have the foresight to put them into bitmap form which I could easily send out. I have the drawings and if anyone has Inventor, I could send them to you. Let me just send the 2D drawings if you want them as the 3Ds are very bulky and SO MANY. I counted the parts once and I thimk there are 156 parts which includes a lot of special bolts (tiny ones). I thimk this could be re-designed, but then it would not be a "Coles-Eloda Ray" Corliss anymore.

I like these toys, but I thimk we as amateurs should be designing new models instead of just playing with the old models. When I get back to the USA, I thimk I will set up a foundry and work on a new Corliss design. I have in mind a Corliss/uniflow hybrid. I understand the Uniflows had serious drawbacks, but still I want to look into it. All problems have solutions (usually). Also, I want to mention that it is MY belief that these engines should DO something, something like run a generator or grind corn or flour.

I am going to make an engine that has above 1 hp to do several things: heat my house in winter, run a bit of electric, and possibly to heat water for showers and/or make tea. One can also cook with steam.

As an important side issue I want to mention that the ICE people managed to crush the builders of steam powered cars for selfish reasons and some reasons of great practicality. However, in the near future (and the now, actually) the steam engine will most likely make a comeback. Look at the methods we use for our ICE machines: Crude is pumpt out of the ground, moved to a refinery where a large bite of it is used to refine itself, then shipt to distribution points, then shipt to selling points where we pump it into out cars. Then engine of the ICE runs constantly or it cannot run without starting it. However, the steam engine can be run on buffalo chips, grass, wood, coal, hair and toenails and anything at all that burns. The Stanleys used parrafin which is very good as in a car wreck it cannot explode and is even unlikely to burn without a wick. The ICE engine only has enough power at high engine speeds to move a car or do any other work. But a steam engine has it's greatest torque (circular force) at precisely zero RPMs. The steam engine can be turned to zero RPMs when stopt at a stop light and there is no need to 'start' a steam engine but only to turn a steam valve. A large steam plant in a car could rip the rubber right off the wheels.

As far a pollution goes, we must look at the TOTAL system, that is, for ICE, the drilling, pumping, refining and final use in this whole system. For steam, however, it is quite different, or at least CAN be different. We can pick our own buffalo chips and there need not be any refining waste.
I can likely put the autocad files into pdf and share them if you would like. I am interested to see this engine!
-Frank K.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

This ain't funny believe it or not, I'm from barberton, Ohio and I work not more than 500 feet from the original diamond match company that by the way burnt to the ground!!!!!!! Also part of the property at work on I believe was part of the diamond match at one time,is there any way you can post a picture of the drawings that you're talking about because I believe there is a couple of steam engines in one of the buildings on the old Babcock & Wilcox boiler works property