6 wheel tender trucks and frames

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

twaggenspack

6 wheel tender trucks and frames

Post by twaggenspack »

I am thinking about using 6 wheel trucks on my 1 1/2" tender. Where can I find tender frames or plans for a set of frames that will work with 6 wheel trucks?
Bill Shields

Tender

Post by Bill Shields »

Any particular style of 6 wheel truck you have in mind?

I have drawings from NYCRR for their Hudson 6 wheel tender trucks...but no castings..
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I have a pair of Steampipe's trucks that I'm finishing up brakework on this week. I'll post a pic or 2 later on this week. Beautiful swing motion Commonwealth trucks. I'd like to find the patterns for those, but barring that, I'll probably make my own patterns and get some poured myself.

I have a copy of N&W's Commonwealth truck drawing. I bought it from Roger Goldmann of www.livesteamlocomotives.com . He also has the Buckeye truck drawing...

Tom Bee sells some gorgeous Buckeye trucks. Bruce Hamilton has them on his C&O 614. Mountain car also sells Buckeyes.

Mercer Locomotive Works had Commonwealth trucks when he was still in business. I saw a set that was available about a year ago as castings. I don't know if they still are, though.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
locoparts

Post by locoparts »

Terry

I have a few drawings of the frame I sell to go with your tender. It is nothing other than steel sections, all available , or should be, thru your local steel dealer. I will be delighted to send you the drawings if you wish. BTW, in order to build the frame you will need to have , or access to, a welder. This is the same frame I sell to go with the tender.

don orr
www.locoparts.net
highiron999

Post by highiron999 »

For 6 wheel commonwealth trucks, Roger has the Ollie Dotson patterns for the 9.5 ft. spacing between axles (prototype) and Ollie's roller bearing freight car truck patterns aquirred from Barry Hague (Superscale). Rogers' are lost wax and beautiful, IF you can get him to run some. Roger's are for heavy pacifics.

Klamath Locomotive Works' Bob Viale has the 10 ft. spacing model, but no brake parts or rigging. Bob's are sand cast and fit for the NYC Hudson.

Ed Yungling (sp), Sacramento, Ca. area, has patterns for the 11 ft. spacing, but only the side frames and bolsters (no brake parts). Ed's were for the Hiawatha Huson (Milwaukee Road)

Leonard Evans/highiron999
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The seldom cast Commonwealth tender truck frame pattern that Ed Yungling has is a work of art. The castings are even better. I believe he also has the journal box patterns to go with this truck.

I have attached an image of the pattern that has a special storage place to insure no damage.
Attachments
Ed Yungling Commonwealth truck frame match plate pattern.jpg
Ed Yungling Commonwealth truck frame match plate pattern.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 5892 times
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Two of my friends have fabricated credible looking Commonwealth style tender trucks. Each side frame was made of two pieces of 1/8" or 3/16" plate. They are of welded construction with details such as the fillets around the holes, etc., brazed on.
RONALD

Tender Trucks

Post by RONALD »

About 22 years ago, from a Railroad Artist/RR enthusiast named Barton Davis, I was able to copy a set of drawings for the N&W’s J 4-8-4. One of the drawings, G42896, was of the six wheel tender truck. This drawing referenced the General Steel Castings Commonwealth Tender Truck drawing #55167E. This six wheel truck had an 8’-4” wheelbase. This type of truck was a one piece casting, so I did the same with my model.

I made up several of these in “Lost Foam” and cast them in A356 aluminum. In the photo below you can also see three of the wheels that were also done in “Lost Foam.” The white blob in the lower photo is three journal boxes that have yet to be poured. They are made by the “Ceramic Slurry” method and the foam has already been burned out

Sorry to say, I just ordered a boiler for this project and the tender will still have to wait a little longer.

Mr. Sharpe
Attachments
DSCN8235.jpg
DSCN8235.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
Rob Gardner

Tender Trucks

Post by Rob Gardner »

Ronald,

Beautiful Commonwealth tender trucks. What is the locomotive you're building for these trucks to be used with?

Thanks,

Rob Gardner
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

In the 1960's, we got the erection drawings for the C&NW H-1 4-8-4 from Robert Jantz. He had worked as a draftsman for the C&NW. There was no tender drawing. My brother had gotten information from Harold Shroyer, the inventor of "Lost Foam". So we decided to use that method for most castings. As I mentioned, I eventually got those N&W drawings which included a tender.

I'm not a "Rivet Counter", so I really don't care if this version of the General Steel Castings Six Wheel Tender Truck is exactly the right version for the H-1. If I ever get around to making the N&W J, of course, they will be a perfect match. It may seem like I've been at this a long time, but there is lots of fun and pride in just making these parts. It is also only one of several projects I have going.