WTD: Info. on Yankee Shop/Friends Models 4-6-6-4 Challenger

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnK

WTD: Info. on Yankee Shop/Friends Models 4-6-6-4 Challenger

Post by JohnK »

WANTED:

Information and/or discussion on the construction, performance, and other aspects of the 3/4" scale, 3-1/2" gauge, Lester Friend 4-6-6-4 "Challenger" formerly sold by Yankee Shop and Friends Models.

Pros, cons, builder or owner testimonials, performance reports, and photos are sought, publicly here for the benefit of all (or privately to me directly if it's information of a sensitive nature).

Does it run if you put coal and water in it? Do either of the engines (front or rear) slip? Basically, if one builds what Les Friend drew, does the thing "work"? Or is it a nightmare and a science project to get the wheels to turn?

Issues of the Model Craftsman magazines of the early 1940s in which Les Friend detailed the loco are wanted. (I'm willing to buy, borrow, or pay for copying).

This is an information search to get as much written, verbal, and technical info. and discussion on ANY aspect of this loco as is possible, including photos.

Any information on the status, disposition, and location of Les Friend's original U.P. Challenger, as photographed in the old Friends Models catalog, is sought. If its location is "secret", my goal is in the acquiring of info. and photos of this loco, for research purposes, and this is not a solicitation to purchase it.

I'm on a hunt for INFO., and any and all leads, public or private, will be appreciated, and checked out.

Private communications to me at 96 Cummings Park, Woburn, MA 01801, or to jfkclock@juno.com, or by phone, will be kept confidential. I only mention this just to let you know that confidentiality is assured, if you prefer not to post publicly.

Thank you very much for any and all info. supplied.

-John Kurdzionak
1-866-535-2562
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Hi John,

Have you talked to Dick B.?
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

John, I remember looking through old issues of Live Steam Magazine, and seeing several pictures of a 3/4" Challenger running at the Washakum club that belonged to a Mr. Clinton Bunn. I don't know if Mr. Bunn built it or maybe it was the one that Joe Friend started. Maybe someone at that club can help out. John
Bill Shields

Challenger

Post by Bill Shields »

J:

I will ask Jim Stuart..

Have you asked Charlie?

...and in case you haven't already figured this one out...ANY articulated, ESPECIALLY in 3/4" scale is bound to be.....challenging....is one word that I can use on this board....

Bill
Bill Shields

Challenger

Post by Bill Shields »

John:

Jim says that he never saw one completed..only the partially done one that Les had.

He also suggests talking to Charlie...if he doesn't know....

B
Joe Tanski

drawings patterns

Post by Joe Tanski »

I have the patterns from The late Fred Bohn out of the old Pvls club.He build one from scratch and it ran for many years in the Northeast He used
the Friend's drawings and made all his own patterns.If time permits I will try to dig these up and let you know what I have.
Joe
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Thank you for the replies!

-John Kurdzionak