New Magazine for Live Steamers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

mattmason

New Magazine for Live Steamers

Post by mattmason »

There is a new magazine due to come out July 6th. The Home Railway Journal will cater to those who have tracks around their home or on their property, but not the large club-type organizations.

It will have at least one home layout featured each month, as well as construction articles that will range from rail cars to water towers and also some fun facts about railroads. It will not focus on any one scale, but will predominately have articles for 1" and 1.5" scale. (HRJ welcomes articles on 3/4" scale and other scales as well.)

It will not have the intense locomotive building articles like Unka Jessie's great newbie engine in Live Steam. HRJ is not intended to compete with this fine mag, but designed to compliment it.

The Web site is www.homerailwayjournal.com if you want to check it out.
pockets

Post by pockets »

Clover pays in cash and is VERY receptive to the same type of article. I see this as a dilution of the available data and direct competition to LS&OR.

I think I'll opt out.

Thanks,
Greg B
willy

Post by willy »

I will wait it a couple of years. Who knows what time may bring? Some how I doubt that I will leave LSOR or want to buy another periodical.

Yes LSOR does have some projects that may never get built. Yet to me, the importance is to see what other ways there are for constructing of modeling.

I am sure if the subscribers said it was important to see more "short" constructions, it would probably happen. Yet I tend to think it is more of a problem of finding good material to print.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Willy
dorin

new mag

Post by dorin »

If this can encourage more interest, it will be a good thing.

I wish them well and the best of luck.

-Mike
Bill Shields

New Mag

Post by Bill Shields »

ANYTHING that gets people interested in railroading is a good thing..and if this new mag helps....

Clover & Co. are doing just fine by my book, but then others may be looking for something else that this new magazine may cater to.

Good luck to all...
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I agree that Clover is doing a great job for many of my interests as well. She has done a much better job than Joe ever did. I will also continue to write articles for Live Steam. I sent one off after I started this project already.

The problem is that the hobby is changing, and LS isn't for everyone. I'm launching this magazine based on comments I hear from people who are not as into machining as many of us. The magazine will also compliment LS with articles you just don't see in Live Steam, such as wayside structures.

Finally, The Home Railway Journal is an all-railroad magazine that doesn't just focus on 7 1/2" gauge. I can't tell you the number of people that don't want to wade through steamboat meets and stationary engines.

This isn't a magazine I will get rich on, but I do think it can only help the hobby. I also belive, as outlined above, why it is different and will not take away from what is already out there, but compliment that and be able to pull new people in.

Matt Mason
Editor, The Home Railway Journal
willy

Post by willy »

mattmason wrote: Finally, The Home Railway Journal is an all-railroad magazine that just focus on 7 1/2" gauge.
Matt Mason
LOL So much for those of us in 7.25 guage. :D

Willy

(left out the "just", my mistake)
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Willy,
You left out the "doesn't" in your quote of me. The text of my message read:
HRJ "is an all-railroad magazine that doesn't just focus on 7 1/2" gauge."

I would include 7.25" in the book, as well as 4 3/4", 3 1/2", and any other rideable size. So that means you "slightly narrow gaugers" in 1.5" scale will get your coverage. Yes, 7.25" is actually closer to scale width than the those "broad gaugers" west coast. ;-)

Thanks for your good wishes, Willy.

Matt Mason
Superberky1204

New magazine

Post by Superberky1204 »

Matt,

I just sent paypal for a 2 year,10 issue subscription to your new magazine. Good luck. :D

I built my 420 ft 1" scale rr in 1972, still goingstrong.

Bruce Saylor, in PA.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Received my 1st issue of this new publication within a few days of paying with PAYPAL.

It is reminiscent, to me, of early publications such as The Miniature Locomotive back in the 1950s. Same feel; similar format. Its publication also reminds me of how Pershing "Scotty" Scott, and William Fitt, must have started off with their publications. "Home Railway Journal" has a very personal feel to it, much like what it feels like to read Scotty's and Bill Fitt's early efforts back in the early and mid-1960s.

If anyone is "on the fence" about ordering a subscription, I would say go to your PayPal.com account and order it.

I know a promising magazine when I see one, and without support from subscribers and advertisers, no endeavor such as this can survive.
May I wish the producers of the magazine the best of luck in their endeavor. I very much enjoyed reading my 1st issue, and I look forward to the next.

-John Kurdzionak
mattmason

Glad you liked it.

Post by mattmason »

Thanks for the kind words John.

I'm glad you liked the first issue and I am already working on issue number two featuring an unusual 2.5" scale, 7.5" gauge railroad I think you'll like as well.

Matt Mason
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hello Matt,
Just wanted to say i subscribed.
I look forward to receiving my first issue.

Thanks
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.