Davenport diesel-mechanical

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

4catmom

Davenport diesel-mechanical

Post by 4catmom »

I started work on my current project yesterday, a 2.5" scale model of a Davenport 12 ton 2-4-0 diesel-mechanical locomotive. Here is a photo of the original. You can see my first machining operation using a shaper on the General forum. This particular operation was 30 inch gauge, but the loco ran on three railroads, first 36", next 30", and finally 36" gauge. They must have gotten tired of changing the gauge by then. I was able to take a lot of detailed measurements from the loco before it was scrapped about 1972.
Attachments
WestfieldDavenport.jpg
WestfieldDavenport.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 5199 times
pockets

Post by pockets »

Dan,
That's sharp. I look forward to following your progress.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

"...foundry" Hmmmmm! I need to think about this bit of knowledge. What metals are you pouring?
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

Al, I have poured aluminum, brass, bronze, and even made some flawed iron "cupcakes". My iron technique is a work in progress....
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Dan,
That ought to make a nice little switch loco...fun for doing 2.5" scale switching too. My next thought was..why would a diesel loco have a steam loco wheel classification? Then I saw your photo...I think your loco would have been classified as a 1-B or 1+B instead of 2-4-0. Numbers used for the number of non-powered axles, letters used for the number of driving axles. Sorry, didn't mean to sound picky (moi?). cb
4catmom

Post by 4catmom »

That ought to make a nice little switch loco...fun for doing 2.5" scale switching too
I love the narrow gauge stuff! Makes for better ergonomics for the engineer and riders, too! Also, although I haven't seen many live steamers who use link and pin couplers, they seem very practical for live steam operations.
I think your loco would have been classified as a 1-B or 1+B instead of 2-4-0
Interesting point. Although I can't cite any authoritive source, I've always thought that the letter system for diesels/electrics applied when the drivers were mounted in trucks, rather than when rigidly mounted in the loco frame. But then, I'm more of a steam guy so I could be wrong. Although I like steam, I'm building the Davenport diesel (actually it will be battery-powered) just to have something to run while building my steamer, and to use as a utility locomotive for track construction, etc.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I like the side frames. They have a lot more character than a flat slab of steel plate.
pockets

Post by pockets »

Yes, those side frames are awsome. If done in 3-3/4" scale, they'll make your plasma torch pucker......

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston
ironhorseriley

Re: Davenport diesel-mechanical

Post by ironhorseriley »

Greg,

I was curious if you have continued with this project.

Jim
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Jim,
The loco is operational, although never seems to be complete. Note that I changed my id from "4catmom" to "fender". Here is a more recent photo of the loco and a sugar cane car.
Davenport_Eagle_Point.jpg
This old post probably belongs in the riding scale forum.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

Great looking machine! I like your use of color as well. We would love to see your construction photos as you progressed along if possible. True prototype based small diesel locomotives seem rare in this hobby and they are a treat to see.
Last edited by ironhorseriley on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Thanks for the compliment!
I'll now have think about actually finishing some of the details! Will look around to what I have in the way of construction photos.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN