Live Steam Heritage-Southwick

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:05 pm

Could anyone identify these locos at the PVLS track in the late 50's, early 60's. They were taken by a chum of mine who was at the meet with his Virginia.
Attachments
LS8.jpg
LS5.jpg

Bill Shields

Southwick

Post by Bill Shields » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:34 am

If nobody else can help, please e-mail me the files from which these were made and I will ask Jim Stuart. He is a charter member of PVLS (last living) and may have been there when they were run....might even recognize the faces...

His mind is OK and memory just great, but glaucoma prevents him from looking at computer screens with any success...so everything has to be on paper, under bright lights / magnifiers.

Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:31 pm

Here are two more photos that need names put with them. They were taken about the same time as the two previous pictures. The first photo is of the Robinson Brothers 4-4-0. They were from Jamestown New York I think.
Attachments
Norm Robinson.jpg
Southwick.jpg
Garret.jpg

tsph6500

Re: Live Steam Heritage-Southwick

Post by tsph6500 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:51 pm

Steve Bratina wrote:Here are two more photos that need names put with them. They were taken about the same time as the two previous pictures.
Hi Steve,

The Garrett was built by my grandfather, Jim Turnbull, in 1960. He then built the same loco in 1-1/2" scale. Both engines are still in the Montreal club.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:41 pm

While I don't have any pictures of them at the track that I can find right now, here's a couple more locomotives that ran there.

The larger one is my dad's Heilan Lassie (although it incorrectly says "Princess Marina" on it). We got this one in 1969, I think, either from or through Dick Vogt. Woke up Chistmas morning, looked out the window and saw this train running back and forth on the patio. We spent the whole day driving on a strip of track about 30 feet long, if that.

My dad has an old picture of my grandfather driving my younger brother around the PVLS high-line with it. I'll see if I can borrow and scan it.

The smaller one is a semi-homebuit. My dad bought a mogul chassis, stretched it and built a freelance British-style tank engine, and named it "Major Grey" after a brand of chutney. This is the one on which I bucked all those rivits.

We used to run up there several times a year with Dick Vogt. Have lots of great memories of the place.

The high-line used to be a traffic jam, there were so many trains there.

I brought the pictures up with me when I re-joined PVLS and some of the old-timers there remembered the trains.

Steve
Attachments
MajorGrey2.gif
HeilanLassie.gif

Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Here are two more pictures from my friends collection. The first is of Ed Nebaurer. This engine was in the Model Railroader article on the New Jersey Club. This was in the September 1968 issue. The Schools Class loco is unidentified.
Attachments
Ed Nebaurer.jpg
Schools Class.jpg

19copythree

Ed Nebauer

Post by 19copythree » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Does anyone have any info on Ed Nebauer? He introduced me to Live Steam when I was a teenager (1960's) in the Boy Scouts. We went from Queens N.Y. (where we lived a few blocks apart) to NJLS and he let me run the engine shown in the photo. Have never gotten over it!
Thanks, Jim Mardiguian.

Bill Shields

SouthwicK

Post by Bill Shields » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 pm

Jim is looking at the pictures, trying to remember names.

Jim, although a charter member of the club, was totally absent from 1959 until the 1970's when NYCRR had him in Cleveland / Chicago, so if these pictures are during that time period...he may not know them.

He is pretty sure the NEW JERSEY loco is a visitor...

He DOES specifically remember the loco with the combined tender / riding car...and is trying to remember the name of the owner.

The work box with B. W. Barnfarther in the background of the one photo of course belongs to Brenton "Barney" Barnfarther.

Barney originally purchased the Langworthy castings for the Hudson that he sold to Jim in the 1950's, who gave them to me in 1978..and I built the engine (still have it).

Small world....

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:26 am

Steve,
I'm just looking over these pictures and the first engine is an Erie Ten Wheeler built by Bob Hannum, and now owned by his son. The 4-4-0 with the tender attached to the riding car was built by New Haven RR engineer Norman Steel.
The photo you have labeled as Norm Robinson, is actually Al Milburn and his built from solid NYC&HR RR 870.
Keith

LVRR2095

Re: SouthwicK

Post by LVRR2095 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 am

Bill Shields wrote:Jim is looking at the pictures, trying to remember names.

He is pretty sure the NEW JERSEY loco is a visitor...
Small world....
The "New Jersey" locomotive is 1" scale and was built by Rudy Blonk, the first president of the New Jersey Live Steamers. My first ride behind Mr. Blonk took place in 1959, and it is a memory that is still fresh in my mind.

Keith

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:37 am

Steve Bratina wrote:Here are two more photos that need names put with them. They were taken about the same time as the two previous pictures. The first photo is of the Robinson Brothers 4-4-0. They were from Jamestown New York I think.
Steve, that 4-4-0 was built by Al Milburn, and was owned at that time by Pierre "Pete" Maurer who is standing in the middle photo wearing a white trench coat and British Rail driver's cap. (That cap is now in my collection for treasured things, as Pete Maurer was a very close friend of mine)

Keith