Just Joined

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

B&OBob

Just Joined

Post by B&OBob »

Hi - I have have just signed-up on the group, although I have been reading posts for some time.

My history in live steam goes back to 1929 when my father finished his 2.5" gauge Coventry P-7. We had a 32' circle of track for a few years before the war; built my own B&O Ten Wheeler in that gauge in 1979, and can still run it (with creaking joints) on the PLS track, as Bill can attest. Other locomotives are a 1" 2-4-0 built by my father, two Ga1 Aster kits (sorry to adnit) and even sorrier to admit, a now nearly-finished 1" free lance battery powered steeple cab, since running steam has pretty much gotten beyond my endurance - a sad day indeed!

Bob Thomas, Blue Bell, PA
Loco112

Welcome Bob

Post by Loco112 »

Welcome Bob, I hope you find what you need here, and maybe you'll make a few frineds along the way.

Loco112
mattmason

Great news!

Post by mattmason »

For those that do not know Bob, I have had the great priviledge of talking with him by phone and letter. He really is a great addition to this board and I think everyone will agree that he will be a joy to have here.

Welcome Bob!

Matt Mason
Editor
The Home Railway Journal
www.homerailwayjournal.com
Bill Shields

B&O Bob

Post by Bill Shields »

He's just a little bit modest....his engine is a work of art.

Bob gave me a bit of grief because the side rods weren't 'down' in the picture...looks good anyway....

Runs good and is VERY EASY to clean at the the end of the day....

Any time you need help with the steamer, just give Jim and me a heads-up and we will help you with the heavy stuff...it gets lonely out there on the multi-gauge track without you to chase around the loop....even if you do like to go in the wrong direction....Blue Bell isn't that far out of our way..as long as you don't mind sharing travelling space with our misfit collection of whatnots...

Even if you do lay down on the job.....
B&OBob

Just Joined

Post by B&OBob »

Thanks to all who responded. And Bill, I had know idea you were snapping all those photos! Glad to be among you.
Bob Thomas
dorin

Post by dorin »

Where were these pictures taken?
Looks like a great place to visit.

-Mike
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Wow...triple gauge track.
Bill Shields

Pictures

Post by Bill Shields »

Penna Live Steamers....Rahns, PA (near Valley Forge). A little town that triples in population every 3rd Sunday of the month during steaming season.

The multi-gauge track doesn't get a lot of use (Bob, Jim and I are the most frequent users), but we are all very thankful to the club for maintaining it in such beautiful condition (with a bit of Bob's persuasion, I surmise). Occasionally Bill Moorwood's family comes by with his Raritan. Bill doesn't run any more, but still comes by to sit and chat.

Derailments are only ever caused by biological interference (twigs) and the occasional rock that, for some reason, always seems to jump into the gap between the 3/4" and 1/2" scale rails....and of course the ever-present 'dumb guy' who forgets to reset an interlock now and then...

There also are 1-1/2" (7-1/4) and a 1" loops totally separate from this multi-gauge that you see.

If you guys want, I even have pictures of Bob as a teenager (?) running his father's 1" Camelback (from the cover of a very early Live Steam) and a picture of that same camelback that went to Carl Purinton's 2nd (or 3rd) IBLS steamup at Marblehead.

Whatever happend to that loco, Bob?

More Bob pictures...see his lay-down 'Pullman" riding car in the background?

Here's an engineer's view of the same loco. I am not really sure why the water pump is red...except possibly for the same reason my camelback boiler is red...

steveleatherman

Post by steveleatherman »

Bill, I believe that the camelback you are referring to, RDG #613 is owned by Hank Beck's daughter. I personally have not see it in operation for a good number of years.

On a side note, from what I understand, an acquaintence of mine says he still has the patterns, a set of castings, and the drawings for this engine. Unfortunately, he has not been active in the hobby for probably 40 years and I don't know if it is one of his many "tall tales." If it is true, it would be nice to see another model of this engine built as it is a tried and true steamer.

Steve L.
Owner/Operator of BoilerSaver - "Ask the User" - www.boilersaver.com

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D
B&OBob

Just Joined

Post by B&OBob »

The multigauge track turned out to be a life saver for PLS in 1973. The club had been without a track for over two years, membership had dropped to fewer than thirty, and the scope of the newly proposed 1"/1.5" installation was daunting in manpower and cost. (We had bought 5.5 acres through a stock sale of $15K, and there was not mech left for track!) We realized the solution was to get some track down immediately to enable running again, have some fun, and attract new members. Therefore, a 1" rail was added to the original multigauge layout plan, grading was concentrated just on the m/g route without bridges that would ultimately be needed in the overall scheme, 70 pre-fab track sections were built in three weekends, and we celebrated our Golden Spike ceremony in November. It served its purpose in allowing running to resume regularly while construction proceeded on the major circuits. Since then it has been an orphan, even proposed for lifting(!) but it provides a good "training" area for youngsters and a continuing operating facility for the elderly (and Bill) to run smaller than 1/8-scale.

The 1" locomotive mentioned is no doubt my father's 1" Reading L-7sb, built in 1950 and the first 1" engine in PLS. When I saw the engine a few years ago it was in disgraceful condition - far worse than its prototype at Modena PA where we photographed it prior to scrapping in 1946. The present location of patterns is an Urban Myth.

Bob Thomas
JMiller

1" Reading L-7sb

Post by JMiller »

Hey Bob --

I rode behind that engine some years ago during a visit to the New Jersey Live Steamers track. Ronnie Shupard was running it and we decided to see just how much it could pull. We tied on what we could and a couple of us hopped on for good measure.
I remember going up the grade to the back of the property - things were pretty slow, but it made it without stalling - never slipped either. It barked of all it was worth the whole way. Quite impressive - it made for an enjoyable afternoon.

-- Jim Miller
B&OBob

Just Joined

Post by B&OBob »

Glad you enjoyed it while it was still in good condition, Jim. Also good to learn it was "barking" on the grade at NJLS.

I hear your dogged effort to rehabilitate PLS track is nearing completion. Nice going! Hope to see you at Labor Day meet.

Bob