Little Engines 1" Scale Atlantic

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: first project

Post by SteveM »

Steampipe wrote:http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/forsal ... /index.htm

This sure seems like a good starter deal to me.
Loco, castings and machinery too.
And if you don't need the machines, you can sell them and probably get most, if not all, of your money back. The price was just reduced.

The seller is not interesting in selling the items separately (against my advice to him), so take advantage of it.

Steve
steveleatherman

Post by steveleatherman »

I know someone that has a partial set of castings for the LE Atlantic. PM me so I can get you in contact with them. So far, I've had good success with my LE 0-4-0T. After correcting all the problems it had from the previous owner(s), that is. It is a good puller and makes tons of steam if you fire it correctly. My only limitations are that the side tanks do not allow enough water capacity, so I just run around with a 1 gallon milk jug on my riding car.

Steve L.
Owner/Operator of BoilerSaver - "Ask the User" - www.boilersaver.com

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Does anyone else (besides me) recognize the name Russell Stewart? Well the moment Mr. Simm posted his name, I knew I had heard it before.

I checked my Little Engines Catalog #100 from Lomita in the early 1980s. Sure enough, in the 1/4" scale (O-gauge) section, it says: "these fine 1/4" scale chasses were built by Russ Stewart from [I think] Columbus, Ohio".

As soon as Mr. Simm posted the new owner's name, my "alarm" went off in my head because I recognized it. (Don't know if it's the same person, though). I'm just glad that my brain is still working. The mind is the second thing to go, you know. (Charlie Purinton, many years ago, taught me this. He also told me what the first thing to go was going to be, and it need not be mentioned here!)

Just wondering if anyone else caught this (Russell Stewart), or if I'm the only train nerd who memorized all the supplier catalogs when I was a teenager. (I'm not kidding).

-John K.
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Jn. Find a club or group around you. You will find everything you need and might find somebody to let you run thier 0-4-0 Le or a pacific. That will really help you decide what direction you can / will go. Thats a le 0-4-0 tender ver and a 4-6-2 in my avatar
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I won't to knock LE, as Clarke is moving the operation and think we should give the new owner the benefit of a fresh start.

I will add that I just finshed a review of John's Yankee Shop castings for the 4-4-0. These were great castings and machined very well. I have had one reader send me a letter essentially saying the same thing. I'll be honest, his 4-6-0 is looking mighty fine to me right now. I have two steam projects in the works right now, but might make the ten wheeler my next one after that. Great castings and great communications.

The review is appearing in the next issue of The Home Railway Journal, coming out this month if you want to read my whole take on them.

Matt Mason
Editor
The Home Railway Journal
www.homerailwayjournal.com