Royal Scot Tender

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LMS6100

Royal Scot Tender

Post by LMS6100 »

I'm building a tender for my 1 1/2" scale Royal Scot, and I was wondering if any of our friends across the pond could tell me where I could get some detailed drawings, photo's or books that show the rivet detail on the sides of the tender. (I'm building the 3500 gallon version) All the photos & books I have show the 4000 gallon version, which is quite different.

Thanks,
Steve
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

Steve, I 'll have a look through some files etc and see what I can find.
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
Steve Bratina

"Scot" Tenders

Post by Steve Bratina »

There is a magazine called Loco Profile which you may be able to get from a hobby shop if it is still in print. The one you want is #8 which is on the Royal Scots. It has a fair number of views for both types of tenders. If the hobby shop can't get one, try a model railroad swap meet.
The other possibility is a magazine from England called Locomotive Profile (I think). We have them in Canada at Chapters bookstores. There must be an American equivalent. The magazine is dedicated to telling the story of a specific British loco each month. The next time I go up to Chapters, I will find out what issue it is for the Scots.
Finally, if you go to www.camdenmin.co.uk, they have many different technical books on all sorts of subjects including locomotives. It should have a book on the Royal Scots.
I hope this is of some help.
Keep steamin'
Steve
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

Steve,
Are you building the Fowler or the Stanier version?
LMS6100

Post by LMS6100 »

Alan,
I'm modeling the Fowler version as built in 1927. I was able to find a magazine call Locomotives Illustrated #103 on ebay. I'm hoping that has some good information in it. I also have LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 1, but that just covers the rebuilt versions.

Steve,
Thank you for the leads. I'm still looking for Loco Profile #8.

Steve
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

Steve, I just received the following from a pal.:

According to The Stanier 4-6-0s of the LMS by Rowledge and Reed, David & Charles Locomotive Studies 1977 ISBN0 7153 7385 4 at page 28 "Up to 1933 all Fowler-type LMSR tenders had countersunk rivet heads in the tank and bunker, but Stanier favoured snap-head rivets and these were applied to those Fowler-type tenders (a) and (b) built new for the Jubilees." The same page of the book has a rear view of smooth Fowler tender with the only rivets being those holding on the steam heat pipe and the water capacity plate and also a line of small rivets at the very top of the coal space.

Looks like he has just saved himself a load of work by going for the 1927 version.
Dave Bortz

Royal Scot

Post by Dave Bortz »

Anyone know the where abouts of Ben Nixon's Royal Scot ? It was built by Basset Lowke (as far as I know). Several years ago it was sold and returned back to England from Pennsylvania USA, but I haven't heard what ever happened to it after it went back. Anyone know of it ?

It's a great locomotive.
Thanks
Dave
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

If that is the model I am thinking of, B-L produced several, I think 7 or 8, and most are still around.

I have heard of one that was in the US and returned to the UK, but whether that is the one you mention or not I dont know.
Cant recall now where I read it either!
Steve Bratina

Ben Nixon's Royal Scot

Post by Steve Bratina »

If you look at Joe Rice's DVD on the Pennsylvania Live Steamers, there is a scene or two with what could be Mr Nixon's Scot trying to be fired up. In one shot, it looks like they have more fire under the grate than above.
I have some 8 mm stuff a chum of mine shot at PVLS in around 1964 that shos the Scot shining the rails at the club along with a bunch of other well known locomotives. I am hoping to get to the PVLS in June so I will bring a disc of the film with me.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

There were at least two Bassett - Lowke built Royal Scots in the Pennsylvania / New Jersey Area. Ben Nixon's was the first, and the second was built for use at an estate near Easton, Pennsyvania for a Mr. Rinek. That 7-1/4" Scot was later owned by Pierre "Pete" Maurer of Nutley, NJ. He sold it to Mark Spry, who was living in Honesdale at the time. I have been unable to contact Mr. Spry for sometime now and that Royal Scot seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth, along with the George the Vth that also ran at Easton.
Lots of lost locomotives out there!
Keith
Steve Bratina

Ben Nixon's Scot

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here is a picture of Ben Nixon's loco at the PVLS meet in 1964
Attachments
Ben Nixon.jpg
B&OBob

Royal Scott Tender

Post by B&OBob »

Ben used to take his Royal Scot to Jack West's track along the Chesapeake. I think it was Dan Culp, but not certain, who told me Ben's engine was returned to the U.K. Too bad for us - it was a beauty.

Then (O.T.) there was the Bassett Lowke "George the Fifth" 4-4-0 that ran on PA Senator Boies Penrose's estate on the Main Line in the early 'thirties. That one possibly surfaced at a recent auction in Fairfield, ME, where it was bought by James D. Julia. It too was thought to have been on the Rinek railway. PLS bought all the Penrose track for $50 in early 1947 from Charles Penrose for the start of the club in Berwyn.

Bob
Last edited by B&OBob on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.