The Ridge Live Steamers is now Triple Gauge.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChuckHackett-844

Re: The Ridge Live Steamers is now Triple Gauge.

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

ccvstmr wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:40 am 2) if you building a concrete grade crossing, determine where the track is located and leave a trough in the concrete 4.5" deep by 16" wide. Cut 4x4's to sit down in the trough. Leave 1.5" between 4x4's. Maybe cut cross slots to allow for drainage. Install the rails on the 4x4's...can even have a curved track thru the grade crossing. Come back after the rails are installed with 1-by or 5/4 planks to deck the crossing. If you use 5/4 planks...make sure no locomotive has gear box underneath that extends below the rail head height.
I highly recommend this method especially if you plan on installing automatic signals, crossing gate, etc. Much easier to have insulated track for train detection because many people use steel bar/angle in concrete with welded cross-ties to hold gauge while concrete sets - a nightmare to fix later (concrete saw down center and fill with caulk to keep rust from creating a short).

Yes, you can insulate the crossing from track either side but this is not a good solution, even with fancy timers because, if a short train (box cab, etc.) comes to a stop on the isolated crossing the block gets cleared and the signal system/maintainer gets blamed unjustly.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
ccvstmr

Re: The Ridge Live Steamers is now Triple Gauge.

Post by ccvstmr »

Will add Chuck...anytime someone is pouring concrete for a grade crossing, run a couple 1" PVC pipe thru the concrete for grade crossing or signal system power and/or circuits. Don't have to use them, but it's better to have and not use them...than need them and don't have. Sure beats running pipe around the grade crossing later on. Just sayin'... Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!