Smaller Gauges

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Blackstone Valley Shops

Smaller Gauges

Post by Blackstone Valley Shops »

I am not tied to any gauge or scale. In the shop I have a Fitchburg Northern under construction and a 21/2" scale 4 wheel box cab pulling an engineer car and a flat with 2 seats. After visiting the Monteal Live Steamers, a 7 hour drive, I decided to look for a smaller loco to transport. Last August this little loco followed me home . So far It's only been to Pioneer Valley Live Steamers and Long Island Live Steamers, but the year is young . I can pack the loco , tender ,2 riding cars , all the support stuff , tent , sleeping bags and ect. in the wifes Trailblazer in less than a 1/2 hour. A lot less work than a 400 lb box cab in the pickup truck. Plus the little loco is in an enclosed area if it rains.

PS In the shop I have double castings for a Raritan. Maybe someday I'll have a 3/4 mogul too!
Attachments
067.jpg
068.jpg
Sally Imbriaco
Bill Shields

Smaller Gauges

Post by Bill Shields »

Mark:

Remember my prediction regarding 'tupperware locos'?

With our Tom Thumb, I can get the lot in my VW cabrio.

Good on you.

See you later this year at PVLS.

Yuengling?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Mark,

Don't forget to visit us at the NJLS. Bill was nice enough to find all the bad areas on the elevated track for us a few weeks back...
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I would second the NJLS visit. I was quite satisfied with my weekend visit there last year from California. (Yes, that state on the Paciic coast) I flew out for the weekend.

And yes, my 1" electric flew with me in checked baggage. I did not have to pay anything to fly or for oversize baggage as I was on a free ticket from being bumped from a flight earlier in the year. (That was before the first bag charge.) Not quite "Tupperware" size, but close enough!

I plan on flying it out this fall to either St Croix or Penn LS.

Try doing that with my Chloe! (I'm not tied to any scale either. The more the better!!!!!)

Matt Mason
Editor
The Home Railway Journal
www.homerailwayjournal.com
Blackstone Valley Shops

Post by Blackstone Valley Shops »

Rich thanks for the invite. Unfortunatly I started a new job 2 months ago and cant get any time off . Next year I plan to take a week of fridays. That should allow plenty of travel time to hit Jersey , Penn and Montreal Live steamers. Why am I not surprised with the comment about Bill? Maybe it's the photo from Waushakum that iv'e seen ?

Bill , sorry I couldn't resist. Yes that was my last Yuengling. Saved for the occasion. It's not availible here in the north east. Yet another reason to go to Cabin Fever. Imagine the looks of the hotel staff as you load 4 cases into the elevator. Can.t leave it in the truck , It'l freeze.
I am looking forward to seeing you and Jim again, BUT please be warned, the elevated line is under major reconstruction. The high line commitee gained the aproval for total rebuild , ground up . At the present time the north curve has been removed and is slowly being replaced with all new materials. Of course we'll try to have the track in 1 piece for the fall meet. If not then point to point is possible. Either way We'll all have fun.
Sally Imbriaco
Bill Shields

NJLS

Post by Bill Shields »

Rich:

It was only one spot, and not much at all. We had a very good time being challenged by the 'hill'

It might actually be a steeper grade (albeit shorter) than the back grade at WLS.

Either way, it was as good time (except for the heat). Next time, have a word with the weather-controller and see what you can do to get cloudy / overcast and cooler :D

My spill at WLS had nothing to do with bad track or Yuengling I don't drink when I drive cars, motorcycles or locos. My judgement is questionable enough when stone-cold sober.

Perhaps my balance isn't as good as it was when I was sub-50. I wouldn't have thought so, but stuff creeps up on you as you 'mature'.

I too am at a new job and the occasional Friday is about all that I can manage for the time being.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill & Mark,
If you ever get the chance....take the brewery tour at Yuenglings Pottsville location. A number of years ago the Yuengling brewery sponsered an AMA dirt track motorcycle racing team owned by a good friend of mine. (Harley Davidson XR- 750s) And...they make pretty darned good ice cream!
The late live steamer, Harry Quick, was the Chief Engineer for the now closed Kaier's Brewery in Mahanony City, Pennsylvania. His machine shop at the brewery was powered by overhead line shaft...and that was run by a steam engine! Between the shop at the brewery, and the one at his home which was adjacent to the shop at the brewery, a lot of very fine locomtives and traction engines came out of the Mahanoy City area!
Keith