Recent Forum Member

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mike Green

Recent Forum Member

Post by Mike Green »

Greetings, I had read quite a few posts after being introduced to this Forum by Carrdo last year and was finally inspired to join by Jack B's large scale postings. Turns out I know quite a few members and would like to meet a lot more.
The last several months have been intense, no time for modelling as I decided to retire from "work", our two Sons came home for a short visit over Christmas and the trauma of cleaning out 23+ years of stuff (junk) from my Office space. I'm a Marine Engineer, after sailing all over the Northern Hemisphere and Great Lakes of North America I became a Ship Inspector for the Canadian Federal Government. My retirement lasted three days and now after "spitting up the anchor I once swallowed" I'm back babysitting a 730' long vessel with an 11000hp Diesel in the basement.
A Marine Engineer by day and a Model Engineer by night. I've been into steam all this time, from a 23800hp Steam Turbine Tanker to a 1/2" scale 2.5" gauge 4-4-4T that needs restoration and sort out it's heritage. I have a George Tapping built 1" scale 0-6-0T and a 2.5" scale SHAY under construction for 7.5" gauge. Traction Engines are also an interest, I have a 1/4 size Sawyer-Massey under construction. Running and maintaining this "job" will keep me busy for a while but eventually some parts will be fabbed onboard and fitted at home. We have access to the internet, sat. tv and other comforts of home that were not available years ago. The old "mail call' is now replaced by "ding" here comes another E-mail. The world sure has changed.

Mike
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Welcome aboard Mike! Good to see you posting here.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

hey -de -ho Neighbor!

Being nosy, what 2.5 scale Shay are you building and how far are you along? I have a peculiar fascination with 2.5 and have built a gondoala to that scale already, and planning a boxcab electric. I had started on trucks, but that is gathereing dust right now.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Damn gummit...you've got a "730' long vessel with an 11000hp Diesel in the basement." Now THAT'S some basement! Welcome aboard.

Maybe you can share some photos of your "regular" job engine/controls? Or are photos onboard prohibited? :-) Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
sncf141r

Re: Recent Forum Member

Post by sncf141r »

Mike;

Really nice to hear from you again; glad you are still steaming around, in more ways than one!

My model engineering went on the back burner for a bit (children, parents, etc, etc) but am back on my 3/4" shay; hopefully running sometime soon.

JohnS
Ottawa.
Mike Green

Recent Forum Member

Post by Mike Green »

Thanks for your comments, excuse my first post jitters.
Hi Marty, doing "part time" here, back for winter work in March so should be off April and see you at NAMES.
Dave, am building LIMA 3345 the last narrow gauge 3 truck SHAY built. I started this loco too many years ago while on another Great Lakes Freighter. I have both frames, water tank and cab roughed out, engine bottom bracket and crank and a pile of manageable parts. I had simplified the main frames but this has come back to bite me. I dusted the rust from the original riveted side frames and have already started a rebuild. I also started a West Side Lumber flat car and can't wait to apply Jack Bodenman's techniques to finish it.
Carl, this is one basement that can be noisy and hot but better not get wet. We are shut down for Winter maintenance right now, the other Chief and I are starting to pull pipes and stuff apart for repairs. Photo's are permitted but will probably try posting from home after I figure out how to shrink them.
Sorry John, I lost track of you and in my Inspection mode didn't get to Ottawa after the last time I saw you.
Any suggestions on how to lift a one ton cylinder head cover.

Mike
BobbyT

Re: Recent Forum Member

Post by BobbyT »

Mike Green wrote:Any suggestions on how to lift a one ton cylinder head cover.
Mike
yeah, carefully! :wink:
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Home again, with access to my stored pictures but "how to shrink one". I hope I have attached a picture of a suitable size, here goes.
Attachments
Kam0708 005_640x480.jpg
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Mike: THAT 67 ton Shay design is supposed to be at Laporte Steam Historical Society, at Heston Indiana. I dont know the # right off and the sites on line are not a help either.

The engine was damged in a fire about 1985, and I do not know its condition now. I stopped going there about then. It is a super heater type modern design of 1929, touted to be the last 3 footer built. She has a humped boiler and was really a good loco last I fired on her. Really easy. She was an oil burner when they got her, but they removed all the target brick and arch and made her over for wood firing on the sawmill waste at Heston. I used to have a brochure that had her vitals on it, but I doubt I know where it is now. I do have some pics from then if you are interested, I can probably get them up.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
mikped

Post by mikped »

Mike and Dave,

The Shay is back in service at Hesston. I think it started revenue service Memorial Day weekend, 2008.

another Mike
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Hi Mike and Dave;
Yes, I'm building #3345 which is #7 at Laporte County Historical Society at Hesston, Indiana. I was fortunate to be at the 1975 Dedication of the SHAY. I made several visits to take pictures once with my wife and several with our two sons, once before the fire and several after. The loco has gone through another rebuild and c/o a Chicago friend I have digital pictures of details and the latest dedication. The attached shows the current status with a West Side Lumber sister loco in On3 scale sitting on the bottom bracket.
Attachments
Apr30-07 004_640x480.jpg