Challenger tender photos

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

timmy wheeler

Post by timmy wheeler »

Dave, Jack and now Chris.....I must seriously contemplate going back to Brio...
Chris Hollands

challenger Photos

Post by Chris Hollands »

Sorry to disappoint oh Canada but Im Australian .
The nickel plating kit was the normal anode type and if any body is thinking of using such a kit go for it ,dont do what I did and research it to death and buy books and all sorts of other info BECAUSE YOU DID NOT HAVE CONFIDENCE in your ability and it was some sort of black magic.
(I want to do photo etching that scares me ,what I really want to learn is lost wax casting Help please)
Remember number one when using these kits it has to be spotlessly clean , find a neutral type degreaser that leaves no residue if that makes sence and only do small quantities at a time
Harold_V

Re: challenger Photos

Post by Harold_V »

Chris Hollands wrote:what I really want to learn is lost wax casting Help please)
When I left the shop, having been totally burned out on machining, my next endeavor was refining precious metals, which I pursued until I retired, just before I turned 55.

I worked closely with manufacturing jewelers, who use that process daily. I suggest you find someone in your area that is involved with making custom jewelry and ask for his/her input. It is common, at least here in the States, for larger jewelry stores to have a benchman in the back room, who routinely does repairs, and often manufacturing of custom jewelry.

Once you get familiar with the process, you'll find it's very easy to do, but there are certain requirements that should be met.

Harold
Krank Turner

Indeed high grade!

Post by Krank Turner »

The words have been said, no need repeating them. However; if I wore a hat I would remove it in the presense of that piece of art, and my "hat" is off to you also.

Exceedingly well done.
Always stopping my train in a safe manner with good 'ol reliable NIKE brake shoes... size 12 basic black.

Krank Turner
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Brilliant workmanship, the big bits are easy it’s all the fine stuff that takes the work and 9 times out of 10 you never see.
Jim
FLtenwheeler

Re: Challenger tender photos

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Chris Hollands wrote:The brakes and suspension are prototype with inexcess of 2000 individual components nuts bolts pins bushes etc.
2000 parts.

How many drawings where there for the tender brake rigging alone for the full size locomotive?
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Brake rigging can really add up. On the Nickel Plate Berkshire tender brake rigging there are 120 little #6-40 bolts in three different lengths that you get to make, and each one has a tiny hole in it that the tiny cotter pins fit through to hold the 120 castellated nuts that you get to make. This is just a small hand full of little bits for the brake rigging.
Get R' Done!
Jack
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

My point.

How many builders have access to prototype blueprints?

If I am going to go to all that work, I want it to be as close to prototype as I can get it.

Case in ponit.

I need a flatcar for a load of 6 tractors. I model the CNW, which had both 42-foot and 46-foot flatcars built in the 20s. Of the 5 groups built I was able to find the original drawings for one group of 42-foot flatcars. Most of the people I have talked to tell me I am crazy to spend that much time on a flatcar. But due to the fact that I will not be able to start on my big engine anytime soon I am focusing on something a little smaller to work on my detailing skills.

BTW does anyone know were I can purchase some 5/64” round head steel rivets?

Great work

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
BobbyT

Post by BobbyT »

Absolutely gorgeous workmanship.

Though for some of us machining rookies, photo's like these can be a double edged sword. On one hand they serve as great inspiration of what can be achieved in this scale and yet they can overwelm us by the sheer complexity of it all.

My hat's off to you "Master" builders.

Bobby
mlucek

Post by mlucek »

Ditto to what everyone else has already said !! BEAUTIFUL WORK !! :shock: WOW !! :lol:

Mike
tsph6500

Re: challenger Photos

Post by tsph6500 »

Chris Hollands wrote:Sorry to disappoint oh Canada but I'm Australian.
We won't hold that against you considering the decent quality of your work. :wink:
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman