3/4" Scale Tender

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

3/4" Scale Tender

Post by JBodenmann »

That beautiful little tender frame was driving me nuts, I couldn't wait to tear into it. Stuck it to the mill table and machined one whole side without having to re position anything. Then flipped it over and did the other side.
Attachments
ATen1.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here it is a bit later. The spring loaded buffer has been made, the holes drilled in the frame and fitted up. I think the springs in there now may be a bit heavy. Some experimentation may be needed to get them right.
Attachments
ATen2.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is a close up of the buffer, 3" and 1/2" round stock and a bit of silver solder.
Attachments
ATen3.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is the other end. This is one of the couplers that Santa K , from Yankee Shops sent me. It still needs a bit of work and the latch mechanism need to be made. Mr. Coventry's design calls out for a blind square hole!!!?? for the latch pin to operate in. I think I have figured a way to wiggle through this one. Film at eleven.
Attachments
ATen4.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

While the little buffer was going for a swim in the acid pot after silver soldering I ran out to the wood shop and zoomed out the deck planks for the tender frame. These were made from some maple scraps left over from the 5" scale wood bolster arch bar trucks that I made a while back. 1/8" thick 3/4" wide and 7-1/4" long. They all got a squirt of lacquer sanding sealer and then a light sanding.
Attachments
ATen5.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

The decking was then stuck down to the tender frame with #1-72 x 3/16" flat head brass machine screws.
Attachments
ATen6.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

As the decking was being positioned a thin 6" pocket rule was used as a spacer, about .025". Spring clamps were used to hold the little plank in place for drilling.
Attachments
ATen7.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Then it was drilled with the proper tap drill for a #1-72 thread.
Attachments
ATen8.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Work, work, work....work, work, work! Ha Ha, too much fun!
Attachments
ATen9.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Movin' right along.
Attachments
ATen10.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now there we go! Time to make the tank. The tank is going to be one of the delightful little puzzles. All brass and copper. The bottom will be copper, one piece and flanged up all the way around so it can be rivitted to the sides. I am going to take some liberties with the design. Usually tenders this modern had steel coal gates at the front. And although they would be a cool little detail, and fun to make I think they will just get in the way when firing on the run. I want to have a fairly clear shot at the fire door. So I will be using coal boards instead. Probably only one or two when running. Also these switchers often had a tall narrow coal bunker that stuck up quite a bit. This will also get in the way when firing, so I may make a removable top extension on the bunker. Ill also be taking some other liberties for the sake of the Git R Done quotient as you will see later. I'm telling you builders out there, 3/4" scale is just too much fun.
See you in the funny pages
Jack
Attachments
ATen11.JPG
Last edited by JBodenmann on Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Jack

The tender frame is looking great.

I must say you are starting to inspire me.
As you know we have quite a few elevated tracks here in the east to run ¾ and 1 inch locomotives.

Although I have always been involved with the larger gauges I see that there is a resurgence of the smaller gauges.

Recently I have been toying with the idea of building a ¾ inch locomotive.

In keeping with the Sclavi tradition I would probably design my own. I would make all the drawings and patterns. It sounds like it should be another how to book.

Boy all that has got to be a lot of work. I’m not sure if I’m up to the challenge. After spending an intense winter finishing the 1361 I have been goofing off for several months. I need to get back to building.

I just received the prints for the special passenger trucks that the Pennsy used under a lot of their equipment. Soon I will make a trip to the PA state archives to get more.

Once that I have the drawings made for the working prints for 1 ½ inch, scale usage, I will proceeded to make the patterns. I hope to be covering their construction in a video. I know that that will be a popular subject.
Attachments
Picture 042.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES