SP Technical and Historical Society Bitter Creek run

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

SP Technical and Historical Society Bitter Creek run

Post by Harlock »

This was a small meet to host attendees of the Southern Pacific Technical and Historical Society conference being held in SLO this year.

http://www.mikemassee.com/gallery/v/liv ... itational/

Lots of nice Northerns and passenger trains. This was a pretty small meet with mostly SP-only equipment. The group of mostly HO modelers were suitably impressed. :) Lots of good questions asked and answered, hopefully got some folks interested or re-interested in the hobby. There are some pretty amazing modelers in the SP group, looking at some of the modeling contest photos.

here's some highlights from the above gallery.
Attachments
Joe Yetter brings in his amazing string of Daylight cars into the station on the GS-2.
Joe Yetter brings in his amazing string of Daylight cars into the station on the GS-2.
GS-1 Northern detail.   This engine was built by Dick Thomas and most recently re-finished by Jack Bodenmann.  It is on its 7th or so owner.
GS-1 Northern detail. This engine was built by Dick Thomas and most recently re-finished by Jack Bodenmann. It is on its 7th or so owner.
Pair of daylights.
Pair of daylights.
Yours truly on the GS-1.
Yours truly on the GS-1.
GS-4.
GS-4.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

Mike-

Thanks for sharing. I had hoped to take my SP Mogul to the run, but was not able to make it. How many of the SPT&HS members attended the run?

-Chris
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Hm, I'd say maybe 15 - 20 people...not a huge number. I'm guessing a lot of people were heading home by that day. I don't know how big the conference itself was.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

I really wish that someday one of the Daylight set would make it it LALS for a weekend.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Mike,

Great job on the photos as usual. Sure wish I could have been there. Work can sure screw up what might have been a great adventure.

A few more SP steamers and diesels get completed and we can have a super SP Meet at Karl's place in a few years. Quite a few good things in progress but not finished.

Robert
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Guys,

Any pics floating around of the engines under construction? I've heard there is an SP 4-10-2 underway and an SP 2-8-2 we occasionally get glimpses of here and there!

Rob Gardner
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Rob,

The rumored 4-10-2 is located in Salinas, CA. It is still in the builders hall but moving along. I have not heard what the current status of the project is except that the chassis is in progress. Unfortunately it will be a pseudo 3 cylinder running on two normal cylinders. Not unlike the 1 inch scale SP class locomotive built by the late Jack Sessums.

I have seen no photos of the construction of the locomotive so am unable to confirm the present state of progress.

A very nice Alco switcher was making its maiden voyage at the SVLS Fall Meet this past September but it still lacks the finish paint job. Should be a super nice example when completed by next Spring Meet. My Mikado is also moving along too slowly due to current employment demands on my quality time. Not what I had planned on this time in my career.

Be patient,

Robert