WHEEL TURNING PART 5

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

WHEEL TURNING PART 5

Post by Trainman4602 »

Today I finished the wheels. I made the contour tool from high speed steel. I used a foredom grinding tool to grind the form into the cutter.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rom1hFj8R5o

Next the axles.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Dave,

Thanks for another interesting video.

One question:

The tread has a 3 degree taper, yet you are holding it by that surface. Won't it work its way out of the jaws?

Can't wait for the axles, as that is on my list (right after I fix the slop in my carriage!).

Steve
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Steve

The soft jaws are bored to match the taper.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

But you are putting a side force on a taper, which sounds to me like if you mill in a drill press and the morse taper falls out.

Obviously, the clamping does hold. If 50 wheels didn't fall out...

Steve
Steve Bratina

Wheels

Post by Steve Bratina »

Very interesting video Dave. I have learned quite a bit from your stuff. Is there any chance down the road doing oa video on how you determine how good a lathe is if you were going to buy a used one? Also could you include some pointers on setting up a lathe so it is true.
Thanks Again.
Steve
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Steve
I thought about doing that video. I'll wait untill I move all my equipment. That will be over the next year.
I am moving the shop to a larger space. I have out grown this one.
mbrusso39

Post by mbrusso39 »

Well done Dave (as usual)! Each day I eagerly look for new videos from you…keep them coming!

BTW: I am fairly proficient with milling operations on my Bridgeport, but I always sucked a working a lathe. I have a real old (1916) 13 inch South Bend which chatters like crazy (a real piece of junk). And yes I know I should upgrade my lathe. Anyway, Andy Pullen taught me how to machine wheels using my rickety lathe using a 4-jaw chuck and Rogers Cooke form tools. Andy is a great teacher (like you) and I appreciated the time he spent showing (and mentoring) me how to machine wheels on my inferior lathe. Because my lathe is in such bad shape and had to take such light cuts, and for comparison to the 50 wheels you cranked out in a few hours, it took me 6 hours or so to do 4 wheels for my Challenger pilot truck! I mention this because not all of your readers have a large rigid lathe like you show in the video, nor are proficient enough to create the form tools you made and showed. Bottom line is that lack of rigidity in a lathe will require lighter cuts and more time to finish the job…..just have to be patient!
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the compliments

I understand were you’re coming from about the lathe.

As I have mentioned on several of my videos I consider myself an expert on the lathe but not with the other machines in the shop. I can run the Bridgeport or any other mill with no problem but was never formally trained in there use.

I worked at DeLaval Turbine Co. for a number of years where I only worked on the lathe.

I did serve a short apprenticeship during which I was given some basics of the mill. I did learn quit a bit at De Laval watching the others guys in the milling dept and some of the other departments in the shop.

I don’t get excited to much on south bend lathes. They were good in there time. I think the best all around engine lathe would be a Monarch. Also an American or a La Blonde.

With the current serge towards CNC they are available at a reasonable price.

My favorite would be the Monarch tool room lathe 10EE
Steve Bratina

Turning Wheels

Post by Steve Bratina »

I was yacking on the phone with a club member and told him about your videos. He mentioned that he was turning wheels for a project many moons ago and the wheels were as hard as bricks. To shorten the story, he took the wheels in and had them annealed. They machined like butter. Have you ever come across this problem on one of your projects?
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes I have Steve

As I have mentioned At Mercer Loco we turned Thousands of wheels.
I came across hard wheel once in all that time. I just returned them to the foundry and that had them heat treated to soften them up. It worked OK.

That's the one thing about using the box tool. I don't have any back up form tools. I had them made years ago. If you hit hard spots it will dull the tool and ruin you day quick.

I won't be turning more wheels any time soon so I'm ok for now.

A friend just offered me a small doAll surface grinder for free. I can rigg it to grind carbide tools for the form tool in the future.
Sablehills

Re: WHEEL TURNING PART 5

Post by Sablehills »

I am looking for a photo of a n index for a dual drive le blonde lathe. Can anyone helpme?
SteveM

Re: WHEEL TURNING PART 5

Post by SteveM »

Sablehills wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:39 pm I am looking for a photo of a n index for a dual drive le blonde lathe. Can anyone helpme?
You should post this in the lathe forum, not on the end of an unrelated post.

The person with the information you seek will not be looking here.

Steve