Slightly O.T.: best ever use of gauge 1 in the workplace...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Slightly O.T.: best ever use of gauge 1 in the workplace...

Post by Harlock »

Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

I'll go one better....

Back in the mid 1980's, there was a hamburger joint that opened up in the central San Fernando Valley area of L.A.. I ate the place a few times before I moved to Alabamie back in 1987. Although it was only a mile or two from where I lived at the time, I didn't know it existed until I was watching TV one night and one of the local news broadcasts did a story on the place.

Anyhoo, the place a had gauge 1 (or what ever) track "layout" that ran along the walls at table height. When your order was done, it was delivered from the kitchen to your booth on the flat cars in the train.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

That's a neat story.

There was a Kai-ten (conveyor belt) Sushi place in Campbell, CA. during the 1990s that used a train instead of boats or conveyors. Most of the restaurant trains I see are out of reach up near the ceiling. Best one around here is at Domingo's in Boron. The train circles the entire dining room, and goes through several holes in walls. The cars are all local interest (Borax hopper, missile launcher car, etc.) and it is always running perfectly when I visit.

There is a small rafter track at the Apple Shed in Tehachapi but it hasn't run in several years. I think they got tired of cleaning the track.

However, the best 'moving models at a restaurant' in California was at the Flying Lady Restaurant in Morgan Hill. dozens of model airplanes circled the restaurant on a converted dry cleaner's rack. It was huge, and it was neat.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
boaterri

Post by boaterri »

I was in California many years ago and there was a Sushi resturant called "Sushi Train". At the susui bar a 1"guage train made slow laps around the bar and you picked off what ever you wanted from the consist of flat cars. Billing was done by the number and color of the empty dishes infront of you.

High marks for humor, mediocre sushi.

Rick
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i thought this was going to be a joke:
"a small chunk of californium-252, a radioactive element that spews neutrons as it falls apart. "

i was actually disappointed.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
RickBarb

Post by RickBarb »

Reginald Van Gleason (AKA Jackie) used this same method to have his Martini's delivered back in the 50"s. "MMMMMMBOY that's good Booze" would be his comment along with a role of the eyes after a delivery! Rick
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

The LA restaurant was on Van Nuys Blvd. in Van Nuys. Ate there once. I'm fairly certain they used Lionel trains.

There's a similar thing in Kansas City wherein the above-the-head level train brings the order to a spot over your table. The train stops and the food is pushed onto an elevator which drops it down to your table.

I also heard of some guy who needed to dig out his basement, but the access to start was alligator style through a crawl space. He put in a RR and used it to haul out the dirt which he had to dig by hand. Don't remember where this was though....

And there's at least one house in the Hollywood Hills wherein the groceries are hauled up to the hillside dwelling via a cable-hoisted incline track.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Greg_Lewis wrote:The LA restaurant was on Van Nuys Blvd. in Van Nuys. Ate there once. I'm fairly certain they used Lionel trains......
Greg:

Actually, the hamburger joint was on Parthenia St. just west of Van Nuys Blvd.... Just past where the sweeping curve takes off from Van Nuys Blvd heading west into Parthenia when driving up from the south. It was also located in Panorama City, which is the area just north of Van Nuys.

As I recall, the trains were larger that Lionel. LGB I think.... I could be wrong, though.

LL
Last edited by LivingLegend on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you ever ride the Essex Steam Train, not far away is Pizzaworks in Old Saybrook (in the old train station).

They have two HO layouts, one on either side of the upstairs dining room, and the tracks connect from one end to the other. My kids love going there.

Found a youtube of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpd-_FAt8l8

Pizza is good too.

Steve
willy

Post by willy »

Governors REstaurant in Bangor still has a guage one layout that runs the entire inside of their business.