welding safety

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Ironflyer

welding safety

Post by Ironflyer »

Hey Gang,
an engineer I used to fly with sent me a copy of this article a friend forwarded to him after he saw it in American Iron,

welding is welding,

play safe, lots of fresh air,

he used brake cleaner (didn't usually,..just grabbed a can) before welding, the heat made one small puff from a little bit of a drop in a pit he was going to weld over, made phosgene gas...
a tiny puff, enough to kill you, if it doesn't, you'll get to live at death's door like he is...

Paul

I had to shrink the picture of the page, snag it and expand it to read if it's too small here........
Attachments
87c8ee40.jpg
Karl_Losely

Post by Karl_Losely »

This has been discussed before on this forum. Do a search on "brake cleaner warning.

No need to be sorry, it was just a FYI.
Last edited by Karl_Losely on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

I'm Sorry,
didn't realize the article was so dated, but safety issues never are.
Nothing 'new' said here, or in the old thread,...
but folks were made aware then, and hopefully some of the newbies in the 300+ plus recent viewers - or the friends they tell will be Ok..and their friends and family won't miss them..like I do,.,because they didn't do a search for something they didn't know about.

Best Regards All
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ironflyer wrote:I'm Sorry,
Don't be!

Posting information that can spell the difference between life and death is always welcome, even if it has been posted before. Once a topic gets buried on the board, it's unlikely to be seen by new readers unless they do a lot of exploring.

As far as I'm concerned, you did good.

Harold
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

OH-ya! It is usually not the obvious, but a twist that will get ya. Like the act of torching out the compressors in refridgeration equipment being scrapped. Not only against federal law, for air release, but CFC's degrade through this heat into phosgene gas also. This operator got a vague lung problem that persisted for months. They finally figured out he got enough exposure to affect him, PERMANENTLY.

My standard RANT about welding and closed doors in a Garage type shop is no FIRE PROTECTION. Not a ABC fire extiguisher, a dry sand bucket, water hose, nothing. It is quite a surprise to raise your hood from a bead just layed, to see a growing fire under the storage shelves. ( Ask me how I know!) More than one automobile has been lost, while working on brake lines or fuel line, that pop a light bulb with a single drop of liquid, and it gets out of control. It goes on and on. $25 for a coupla ABC extinguishers to pop on a small blaze, can raise your thinking from zero, to HERO.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Fuelrush

Post by Fuelrush »

I for one am very glad you posted this. I had no idea. I don't weld but I use brake clean every day. I go though several cans a week at work. Also some other guys at work do the same. We don't weld around it but I know we've heated tooling with a heat gun and then sprayed the parts with brake clean while really hot. I don't know if thats enough to create the vapor but either way I won't be doing that anymore. I'll also pass that along to my co-workers incase anyone may use it for welding or torch applications. Again, Thanks!

Justin
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Glad you found the reminder good to know guys,
CB&Q

Post by CB&Q »

Fuelrush wrote:........... I go though several cans a week at work.
Justin
Few of us, I think, really heed the warnings on solvent-based spray products, so....

Check the stuff you use regularly, be it brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, engine cleaner: Many contain a high percentage (they won't tell you how much) of toluene and/or xylene.

Toluene is poisonous, and should be inhaled as little as possible. Xylene is less toxic, but still not good.

Some of the dip-it type carb cleaners are about the worst, containing cresols (from which comes "creosote") and methylene chloride, a cancer-producer.

Just my 2 cents worth, hate to see anyone sickened by any of this stuff, simply because they did not know........

CB&Q