Bob Maynard

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Bob Maynard

Post by Bill Shields »

From Cincinnatti died earlier this week.
Timo

Post by Timo »

I remember the name, didn't he write some articles foe Live Steam. Rest in peace Bob.
Tim
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Timo wrote:I remember the name, didn't he write some articles foe Live Steam.....
Bob Maynard designed the Clishay. Bob wrote a series for Live Steam magazine back in the late 1970's on it's construction and how to build it

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Wow, sad day. Bob conceived of an easy to build beginner project that ran well and probably got a good number of people started in the hobby. I see those things all over the place. Goodnight, engineer man.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Rob Gardner

Bob and Evelyn Maynard

Post by Rob Gardner »

I have always considered Bob Maynard as one the finest elder statesmen of our hobby. Back in 1990, I was a freshman in college at the University of Cincinnati studying Civil Engineering. His name as well as Ralph Payne, were the only two people I "knew", albeit only through Modeltec and Live Steam. I contacted Bob and was immediately invited for a visit. He and Evelyn always enjoyed a visit and they allowed me to ride along to various live steam meets that were out of town when I could afford to break away from my studies.

Meeting Bob lead me to meet others who continue to be good friends in the hobby such as Andy Stauffer, Jim Keith and Lou Lockwood.

It did my heart good to see occasional photos of Bob attending meets within the past couple of years and to know he was still involved in a hobby he loved so much.

What I admired most about Bob was mechanical engineering knowelge and skills that he developed over the years, allthewhile without a traditional BS in Mechanical Engineering. His knowlege and advise was always practical and he had a way of keeping things simple but yet effective.

One the finest memories I have of running a live steamer was an afternoon running Susan at the Cinder Sniffers track. What a smooth but powerful engine.

Hi greens all the way, Bob! We shall meet again some day and I hope I get to fire for you then.

Rob Gardner
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

The CliShay
Attachments
scan0010reduced.jpg