Finally getting started on a coles 0-4-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

TimothyG94

Finally getting started on a coles 0-4-0

Post by TimothyG94 »

I purchased castings for a coles 1" scale 0-4-0 in september and have finally started drilling holes in the side frames here's a few pictures. i'll post pictures as I progress
Attachments
100_2971.jpg
100_2974.jpg
Al_Messer

Re: Finally getting started on a coles 0-4-0

Post by Al_Messer »

Looks like a good project. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Al
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
TimothyG94

Post by TimothyG94 »

I got alot of work done today. I still need to work on the frame spreaders and axlebox carriers.
Attachments
100_2975.jpg
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

The Coles 040 was my first engine. I made it into a tank engine. If I had it to do again I would make the boiler smaller diameter than the plans. Seems to big for 1" scale more like 1 1/2" narrow gauge. Attached is a picture of a friend running it years ago.

Wayne Davis
Attachments
Coles 1" 040T
Coles 1" 040T
TimothyG94

Post by TimothyG94 »

My thought about that is that functionality was chosen over appearence when this locomotive was drawn.
I have thought about narrow gauge but i'm not sure how to approach the style of locomotive.
JohnY

Post by JohnY »

Please keep us posted. I would be very interested.

I have a very old Coles 0-4-0, abeit very worn out and right now is a box of parts. I plan to rebuild it as a Forney 0-4-4. Naturally, all the expensive parts are missing - globe valves, pressure gauge, water gauge etc., but I do have a set of prints and a good steel boiler. It's on the back burner of future projects.

Cheers,

JohnY
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

Tim, That's a cute engine, keep the larger boiler for ease of firing. Have you considered a Porter type Tank engine done up like a Private fertilizer, phosphate,or charcoal company yard locomotive? This would be a fun conversation starter and free you up to build as you go. Good Luck thanks for the pictures and keep us posted. Andy.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I redesigned my boiler to be 5". I did consider the harder firing, but I wanted it to look smaller compared to my LE Pacific when sitting side by side. I have not finished the lokie yet, but I'll upload a picture a little later so you can see the difference.
Matt Mason