hadfield Power Reverser

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim_Nolan

hadfield Power Reverser

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Right, after years of searching I have finally got a full set of Hadfield reverser drawings. The screw reverser shaft has a 3 start thread with a 2” lead and it is 1,625 O/D so that scales to about .28” dia on my locomotive.

So the big question is what thread should I be using at that diameter I am guessing a multistart thread is a possibility but is there a tap and die combination I can use as a compromise that will not end up with me winding for ever.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
FLtenwheeler

Re: hadfield Power Reverser

Post by FLtenwheeler »

How about Acme threads. In 1/4" you have 8, 12, 16, and 20 threads per inch.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I started to suggest that you make a three-start die with an OD of .28 and a lead of .345 inches, but my little grey cells shorted out.... :lol:
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fender

Post by Fender »

OK, seriously, Tim is on the right track. Here is a multiple-start acme threaded rod from McMaster. It is .216" in diameter, 20.8 threads per inch, and four starts. So each turn of the rod moves the nut .192 inches. Said another way, it takes 5.2 turns to move the nut 1 inch:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#acme-threaded-rods/=b4yno2

I also saw a 1/4-16 acme rod with four starts (part #6350K11) that is a little closer to size, but is pricier because it comes in six foot lengths.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Fender wrote:OK, seriously, Tim is on the right track. Here is a multiple-start acme threaded rod from McMaster. It is .216" in diameter, 20.8 threads per inch, and four starts. So each turn of the rod moves the nut .192 inches. Said another way, it takes 5.2 turns to move the nut 1 inch:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#acme-threaded-rods/=b4yno2

I also saw a 1/4-16 acme rod with four starts (part #6350K11) that is a little closer to size, but is pricier because it comes in six foot lengths.
Purchase the nut and cut the 4 lead screw.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
kvom

Post by kvom »

16TPI 4 start means each thread is 4 tpi, not easy to cut on a small lathe.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Cutting multi lead threads is a simple thing to do on any lathe. For a three lead screw you have to make an indicator plate on the left side of the head stock around the spindle this could have three equal marks with one on the spindle. You then cut the thread by making a cut as usual then disengage the head stock gear and relocated it and the second make and then do the same for the third mark. Continue to do this until the thread is deep enough. The difficulty comes when trying to fit the nut. I have made the male part but I usually had the nut to fit up too.

All in All it’s easy but tricky but it can be done.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Trainman4602 wrote:Cutting multi lead threads is a simple thing to do on any lathe. For a three lead screw you have to make an indicator plate on the left side of the head stock around the spindle this could have three equal marks with one on the spindle. You then cut the thread by making a cut as usual then disengage the head stock gear and relocated it and the second make and then do the same for the third mark. Continue to do this until the thread is deep enough. The difficulty comes when trying to fit the nut. I have made the male part but I usually had the nut to fit up too.

All in All it’s easy but tricky but it can be done.
Alternately, the thread can be cut between centers, using the jaws of a three jaw to drive the dog tail, thus indexing the part. Slow, but effective. Same problem with fitting----it's not convenient.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
kvom

Post by kvom »

My comment was that a .25" pitch can put a strain on a small lathe's gear train. If there's enough HP then, as posted above, the technique is simple enough.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Also, if the threaded rod is of any length, a follower rest will be mandatory. If built to scale, the o.d. is only .280 inches. A huge amount of side relief will be needed on the tool.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Thanks to Dan for doing all the brain work and to the other comments.
I pressed the buy button on McMaster Car but they declined my order.

Hmm., my credit rating must have gone further than I thought.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Jim , Im looking at building an Australian Loco in the future and it has a Hadfield power reverse ,is there any chance to get a copy of the info you have.
I will pay what ever costs are involved.
Thanks Chris
Last edited by Chris Hollands on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.