Steam railroading to return to Alaska!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: Steam railroading to return to Alaska!

Post by Dick_Morris »

The Alaska Railroad can turn wheel sets with outside bearings and they assembled and machined the wheel sets on our tender trucks. However, they no longer have a capability to mount the 33" wheels and axles with inside bearings as is used on our lead truck. We contracted with Alaska Roteq to turn the journal surfaces and re-profile the wheels. They have extensive expertise on rotating equipment such as large pumps and they are only a half mile from the 557 Engine House.

There are a couple of interesting features of the set up that could be used in our size - the cardboard shield to protect the bearing surface and the layer of some kind of slippery plastic under the steady rest jaws.
Attachments
work_piece reduced.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Now that's a BIG lathe!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Dick,
The slippery stuff under the jaws of the rest is a common dodge. An old time machinist told me about that trick and where to get the slippery stuff. I cut strips out of old TIDE detergent bottles that my wife supplies! It works great.

Keith
diddler

Post by diddler »

I never liked a steady rest that would grind on the metal being turned, I use teflon sheet.
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

diddler wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:47 am I never liked a steady rest that would grind on the metal being turned, I use teflon sheet.
I have 2 steady rests for 18" swing lathes and they have sealed ball bearings, one in the end of each support rod.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The June status report has been posted at http://www.557.alaskarails.org/restore/ ... index.html. Despite the challenges of COVID-19 we are making good progress.

Among the parts that are nearly ready for installation are the side rods with new bushings. We are looking forward to the return of the driver journal boxes from a Lower 48 contractor so we can finally put the wheels back under the locomotive.
Attachments
connecting_rods reduced.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Exciting progress!
Once you get the drivers back under the loco I expect there will some celebrating going on!!
I've experienced that.
RussN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The July status report is posted at http://www.557.alaskarails.org/restore/ ... index.html.

More tools to add to the collection of what is needed to maintain a steam locomotive. Two pressure gauge dead weight testers, one an Ashcroft, the other an Ashton. Why two? The Ashcroft, original to the Alaska Railroad, lost its weights somewhere before we got it. We were able to obtain the Ashton at a reasonable price and it ls complete.
Attachments
Ashcroft_gauge_tester -reduced.jpg
Ashton_gauge_tester - reduced.jpg
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Dead weight tester weights show up on ebay pretty regularly, the sellers have no idea what they are however!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

The newest status report is posted at http://www.557.alaskarails.org/restore/ ... index.html.

I missed announcing the posting of last month's report. It is at http://www.557.alaskarails.org/restore/ ... index.html.

It takes a lot of parts to make up the suspension. Every hole has been bored oversized and fitted with a case hardened bushing, per the original plans. Almost every other part required some type of attention, up to fabricating a replacement.

We have kicked off our 2020 fund raising campaign. Five supporters have established a $50,000 matching challenge (including yours truly being on the hook for $5,000). We would welcome your contribution and I would welcome you making some of my $5,000 available to the restoration. Information on contributing by check or on-line can be found at http://www.557.alaskarails.org/support/donate.html.
Attachments
spring_hangers reduced.jpg
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

A special December status report on the overhaul of Alaska Railroad #557 is posted at http://www.557.alaskarails.org/restore/ ... index.html

A view looking down on the turret shows another place where one of Anthony's U-joints can be used, the main stop valve used to cut off steam to all the accessories piped from the turret.
Attachments
from-top-down reduced.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rkcarguy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:36 pm Now that's a BIG lathe!
Indeed! Looks like a LeBlond.

Dick, do you know if it is?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.