Couple plumbing questions (whistle & injector)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tburzio

Re: Couple plumbing questions (whistle & injector)

Post by tburzio »

cbrew wrote:it does not work that way with a ball valve :)
Yep, that's true. It's also me wondering why everyone insists on using a valve on the steam whistle, where clearly it's much less complicated just to have gravity and steam do the work for you. A short cylinder, perhaps a 1/16" diameter, with a thinner projection on top closes off the steam. The pipe is out the side (best for plumbing under-walkway whistles) which is unblocked when the handle is tugged. You'd be amazed how easy it is to quill the steam when you are pulling against steam instead of a spring. After all, this is the most important part of the valve for a whistle, right? :mrgreen:

Another great side effect is that the boiler is open to atmosphere with no pressure in the boiler. This keeps condensation down, and you know when the steam pressure comes up because there is a "snick" from the valve when it pops closed as you fire up...

http://www.burnhamshops.com/CVLS/movies ... eValve.mov
Last edited by tburzio on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

i have found that many whistles have too large a valve which causes them to over blow and screech at the next octave.
My four chime whistle is piped with 1/4" npt but the nipple to the whistle is plugged and drilled with an 1/8" hole. Fred is correct too much volume plays havick with the sounds.

John B.
crackerjackhoghead

Post by crackerjackhoghead »

I'm curious, do most clubs have regulations requiring a functioning whistle and, if so, would a scale sized whistle cover the requirement? I'd be specifically interested to know what LALS and Riverside require.

Jeff
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Jeff - Speaking for R.L.S., we don't have a specific rule requiring that an engine has a whistle but there are several rules regarding whistle signals from the engineer to the trainman. The recently updated rules do require a test of the engines whistle in the steaming area before moving out onto the mainline.

Brook
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

crackerjackhoghead wrote:I'm curious, do most clubs have regulations requiring a functioning whistle and, if so, would a scale sized whistle cover the requirement? I'd be specifically interested to know what LALS and Riverside require. Jeff
LALS does require a whistle. It be a scale size or oversize.... Just as long as it can be heard.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

LivingLegend wrote:
crackerjackhoghead wrote:I'm curious, do most clubs have regulations requiring a functioning whistle and, if so, would a scale sized whistle cover the requirement? I'd be specifically interested to know what LALS and Riverside require. Jeff
LALS does require a whistle. It be a scale size or oversize.... Just as long as it can be heard.

LL
How long as that been a rule? when us kids used to run the little boxcab, we never had any issues (During Meets in the 80's)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Chris:

Don't know it is now, but in the old, old days as far as steamers go...

Before leaving the steaming bays you were supposed check three things.... Make sure you could get water into the boiler, lift your safety valves, and toot your whistle.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

LivingLegend wrote:Chris:

Don't know it is now, but in the old, old days as far as steamers go...

Before leaving the steaming bays you were supposed check three things.... Make sure you could get water into the boiler, lift your safety valves, and toot your whistle.

LL
that im sure we got away with stuff because of the crowd we ran with :)
oh i would love to run there once more :) along with bitter creek, etc.
some day :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.