Valve gear parts for big boy

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Stephen MacDonald

Valve gear parts for big boy

Post by Stephen MacDonald »

Its me again,the big boy would be running on air right now if I had not been hospitalized for a really bad infection.My index finger balloned up four times its normal size and after going doctor he immediately sent me to the emergency room .Well after it was over(not really,have go for iv drip 5hrs a day 7 days a week for next month) they ended up cutting my finger off back to first knuckle while I watched.Not allowed in shop for next month till finger heals.They think all this was from a metal chip getting in finger so be careful guys.Anyway back to the loco,Andy Pullman finished the last parts needed for my valve gear .The pics are the lifting levers and lifting links.This is all made of Stainless Steel,and the work is superb,My pics don't due the pieces justice,he put ball milled 1/16 grooves in the links for the pins in the bolts so bolts can't turn.Even made prototype grease fitting,where i am going get lube gun to fit don't know.He is currently water jetting out the main and side rods from ss to replace the cast aluminum ones I have now.With very resonable prices I urge anybody that needs machine work to contact Andy,I can tell you he has saved me at least 6 months of tedious work that would never compare to his quality Its been bad year for me,from Jan 1 when trans burnt up in my van to leaky water heaters,stopped up sewer lines,burnt up deep well pump,burnt up outside ac unit ending with storm from hades.Every month its been something,including health problems with 83 yr old inlaws that kept me away from shop weeks at a time.Thought it was all over until finger blew up,they say I almost died from it with blood pressure at 65/30 was close to death as I ever want to get.All because of a metal chip that went in to close to bone and didn't come out.So make sure your tetanus shots r up to date and be SAFE. sincerly Steve MacDonald
Attachments
DSC_0416.jpg
DSC_0413.jpg
DSC_0421.jpg
DSC_0416.jpg
Rob Gardner

Re: Valve gear parts for big boy

Post by Rob Gardner »

Stephen,

Sounds like you had quite a scare and glad to hear you are on the mend. Your continued progress is of great inspiration and you must feel a real sense of accomplishment with each and every part completed. Glad to hear you have Andy Pullen on your side, too.

Rob Gardner
RCW

Post by RCW »

Take care of yourself, my friend. Don't try to rush your recovery. It isn't worth it. I know. Different illness, but same principle.

Best wishes!
--Bob
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

It"s good to hear from you Steve.
Let me know when you can get over to the park
to mull over those rods.
Best Wishes to you and the family,
KapPullen
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Steve,

You've had a rough time of it this year. I'm glad the packages I've sent you have brightened your days.

Steve, you still need eccentric rods. I have the material; but just need a length dimension. I know you're probably not up to getting that for me right now; so when you get it, just let me know and those rods will be made.

As Steve said; I am making new rods for him in stainless as well. The main rods and intermediate side rods were roughed out on a waterjet. I still need to do the front and rear rods in the WJ.

As of right now; I have orders for some other Challenger/Big Boy valve gear parts and will be starting them in the next month. If you need something that is being made; I can add the parts onto the order. It won't add much to the machine times....Union links, combination levers, radius rods, reverse levers and lifter links and a set of eccentric cranks.

Attached is a pic of me getting some dimensions on UP#4012 at Steamtown.....the original prints, while they are very good; were missing a couple of dimensions. It sucks (not really) that I "had" to take a field trip to get those measurements. I do think it's pretty cool to see parts I've made in miniature in person.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
big boy11.jpg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Steve, if I may, I'd like to flesh out your photos for the guys. Here's some shots of the same parts that we have for the sister build down here. The only difference between these parts on the ones in MD is location. you could probably interchange them. Also note the working zircs...
Attachments
Showing the Zirc's <br />Note: Andy's going to have the main lifter crank pictured here TIG'd.
Showing the Zirc's
Note: Andy's going to have the main lifter crank pictured here TIG'd.
IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2334.jpg
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Stephen MacDonald

Post by Stephen MacDonald »

Thanks for the better pics.I am ready to hit the garage,only one thing stopping me,her name is Brenda!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

mjahn wrote:Steve, if I may, I'd like to flesh out your photos for the guys. Here's some shots of the same parts that we have for the sister build down here. The only difference between these parts on the ones in MD is location. you could probably interchange them. Also note the working zircs...
do you have drawings of the zircs?
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Steve,

Awesome! Just pleasantly be a pain and she'll let you back out ;)

C,

I have drawings of the full size zircs but the scale ones are totally andy's territory. they don't have a ball check in them like real ones but they'll admit oil and I'm going to try to use a rubber tipped gun to admit grease.
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

I do have a drawing. They are not exactly scale, but I'm working on that.....little checks in them as well....
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

the zircs look like they can turned from hex stock. i think they would be a great addition to my engines :) 8)

i accept the challenge :lol: :lol:
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Here's a pic of the main and intermediate rods after running the material through the waterjet.

The main rods are 1 1/4" thick stainless and the intermediate rods are 1" thick stainless. The front and rear rods need to be done next. I added 1/16" all over the outside profile and left the bores undersize by at least 1/8".

The miniature grease fittings are just made from hex stock. As I said, I am refining them. They are decent representations, but they don't match the drawing. I'm also working on the checks in them.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
waterjet cut1.jpg