Valve gear parts for big boy

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bruce_Mowbray

Re: Valve gear parts for big boy

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Actually, most of the locomotives parts are stamped usually at the factory. This does not mean that parts from one engine cannot be put on another. Even eccentric rods can be adjusted. With the use of a torch or forge and what was commonly called a "bulldozer", rod length can easily be adjusted. One of the locomotives that I work on has the parts from 5 different locomotives. This includes wheels, axles, rods, crosshead guides, cylinder heads, equalizers etc.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Yes, parts were stamped at the factory. And yes, parts from one engine could be put on another. An example would be the NYC Hudson locos.... You can find photos of those locos where one come from Alco with Boxpox driver centers, and during shopping come out with a driver set replaced with one with Scullen centers from another Hudson which had those as built.... I have seen one photo where a Hudson had Scullen centers on the main, and Boxpox and spoked centers on the other two driver sets.

I'm not talking about repairing or replacing parts in this day and age on locomotives where you have to make do with what's available and or adaptable from another, similar loco. When steam was in service, if need be, the railroads had their own shops to make replacement parts if/as needed.... Until they sold off the machinery at their Irondale shops (where Andy once worked) after shutting down their steam operation, the Norfolk-Southern still had the ability to make replacement parts within reason.

Shops in the age of steam, except in rare circumstances, kept or tried to keep parts (I'm refering to parts such as eccentric rods) specifically fitted to one loco in use on that loco. Why rework specifically fitted rods from two (or more) locos of the same type and class to fit and reinstall on another loco while in the shop at the same time? Time is money, and the locos were need back in service quickly.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Any updates on the Big Boy? I haven't heard from Stephen in several years.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

I inquired of our club secretary(Chesapeake & Allegheny Live Steamers} if he had any updates. His response "He made it to the annual meeting (June 2018). I guess it was his daughter who came with him. He has limited use of one arm. That is the only ‘good’ condition. His overall condition has not really changed since the past two times I have seen him."

Bill
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

At one time, Barry Hauge of Superscale used to offer the zerk fittings as part of his line of detail parts. I forget the reason he stopped offering them, perhaps there was not much interest in them at the time. I should have bought more of them when he had them offered.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Thanks Bill.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

From our club secretary Craig Close concerning Steve McDonald.

"CALS member Mike Looney has called me to inform me that Steve MacDonald is in the hospital. He has been at the University of Maryland Medical center in Baltimore for several weeks, undergoing several operations.

For those who do not know Steve, he is severely disabled and has used a motorized wheelchair for years. Some of you may have seen him at the annual meeting.

Steve would appreciate visitors, but he cannot talk."

Bill Derr