765 on Horseshoe curve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLSTEAM

765 on Horseshoe curve

Post by FLSTEAM »

Thought some of you might enjoy this

gwerhart0800

Re: 765 on Horseshoe curve

Post by gwerhart0800 »

Love that stack talk!
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Nice, but where are the pair of I-1's pushing on the rear? ;)

Great stuff, if you were there consider yourself very lucky.

The low tone whistle, anyone know what it is? I have heard it is a "pennsy 3 chime" What class of engines used it? I like that whistle a lot!

Paul
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Thanks for the link.

You are right, nice stack, GREAT whistle!

One word to aspiring video aparatchiks.

Tripod!

I swear, I was nearly seasick by the time this was over.
When you are panning, slow down. If you think you've been on spot long enough, stay twice as long.
When you look at the video later, you'll be surprised at how fast you were zooming back and forth across scenes.

Please?
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Sandiapaul wrote:The low tone whistle, anyone know what it is? I have heard it is a "pennsy 3 chime" What class of engines used it?
I'm not sure about that particular whistle, but what my railfan friends have told me is that the 765 crew has been trying to use a "line appropriate" whistle whenever they can get one. So it could well be a Pennsy 3 chime.

Whatever it is, it is lovely. :D
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
uncle jerd

Post by uncle jerd »

That whistle is a very rare 8 inch Lunkenheimer that was the shop whistle on the Altoona roundhouse. Great sounding whistle!

Ken
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Yeah the content of the video nearly transcends the fact that a tripod wasn't used. Excellent stuff. Two things that really bug me about youtube train videos: 1: No tripod 2: Music. I'm a musician and if there is one thing I cannot stand in a train video, it's music. The subject speaks for itself, don't desecrate it. MHO of course :mrgreen:

Yeah that whistle is WAY down there in pitch, far below a pennsy 3 chime. It's in steamboat territory. There was a second whistle that might have been 765s original didn't really catch it.

Ken-
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

The whistle on the steam dome is 765's Nathan 6-chime, the standard for the NKP Berkshires.
And yes, I was somewhat (no, totally) dismayed that I coudn't be there.

Jim Kreider
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Hey, James E.....

You may not have been there, but at least you've ridden in 765's cab as a crewman and fired it in years gone by.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
tburzio

Post by tburzio »

Some day in the future, the techies will solve two annoying camera problems. First, all tripods are so sticky that they can't pan. Try it, doesn't work, as the mechanism sticks, releases, etc. With the zoom all the way out, the bumps are magnified. Telescope tripods with hand grip knobs at the end of flexible wire are a simple solution, but they are far too accurate for photography, and therefore cost too much.

The second is the problem that digital cameras have when an object moves from left to right, or reverse. There's a built-in hitch that ruins the movie. It's something to do with the buffer in the sensor. I've asked techies at camera companies, and they have a name for the effect, but they don't seem to care. Grrrrrr.... :mrgreen:
WJH

Post by WJH »

tburzio wrote:Some day in the future, the techies will solve two annoying camera problems. First, all tripods are so sticky that they can't pan. Try it, doesn't work, as the mechanism sticks, releases, etc. With the zoom all the way out, the bumps are magnified. Telescope tripods with hand grip knobs at the end of flexible wire are a simple solution, but they are far too accurate for photography, and therefore cost too much.

The second is the problem that digital cameras have when an object moves from left to right, or reverse. There's a built-in hitch that ruins the movie. It's something to do with the buffer in the sensor. I've asked techies at camera companies, and they have a name for the effect, but they don't seem to care. Grrrrrr.... :mrgreen:
Having done professional photography, there are solutions to the problems. You need a decent tripod, one that weighs 50 lbs and is a total nightmare to move around with you. Needs to have mass and dampens out vibrations. You can buy fluid heads that do not stick and pan wonderfully.
Third, the left to right, right to left thing. Certain sensors are more susceptible to it than others. I can not get my Canon 60D to show it on something like a train video. Now if the subject being video'ed resembles a checkerboard or something with many, many parallel lines, you will get it.
Thirdly, Canon makes some very nice telephoto L series lenses that have image stabilization built in with multiple operating modes. One mode is for panning, other is for general operating.

Also, the newest versions of Adobe premiere have filters that remove camera shake quite well without actually cropping the video.

Many of the video's I see on this forum and others completely lack any decent editing. General rule of thumb, cut right to the action... Cut out the dead time! Waste of bandwidth and peoples time to search through a video to find the part that is actually the meat and potatoes.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thanks for sharing! I also like that whistle. Nice clip.

She had a nice clean fire...Whoever was firing knew his business.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.