Ridge Locomotive Works

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Ridge Locomotive Works

Post by Marty_Knox »

Earl and Harry Bean brought 2248 and 3420 up for some work. I took some pictures since Ridge Locomotive Works finally LOOKS like a locomotive Works
91612 009.JPG
91612 006.JPG
91612 001.JPG
91612 003.JPG
Left to right in the top photo they are: My narrow gauge Mogul no. 4,Earl's 2248, Harry's 3420 Jr., my RGS 20
Greg_Lewis

Re: Ridge Locomotive Works

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Marty_Knox wrote:I took some pictures since Ridge Locomotive Works finally LOOKS like a locomotive Works
Nope. Too neat. Not enough clutter. Perhaps some of us could stop by and decorate it for you. I've got some wonderful stuff out behind the barn that would look great piled up against your walls.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Maybe a should post a shot taken the other direction
91612 010.JPG
My RGS 20 cylinders are in the foreground, the shelves hold the Allen patterns and castings.
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Marty_Knox wrote:Maybe a should post a shot taken the other direction
91612 010.JPG
My RGS 20 cylinders are in the foreground, the shelves hold the Allen patterns and castings.
That is much better.
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

9112 001.JPG
Here are some shots of a 2 1/2" scale K-27 boiler we recently completed. Apparently I didn't take a good overall shot. This was a real challenge due to the various contours.
9112 009.JPG
9112 010.JPG
91612 001.JPG
91612 002.JPG
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Judging by the first impressions of the first two pics, I thought it might leak a bit! :lol:

But then I saw the nice rose welds for the stays and everything is good.

I do have one question tho, why the goober welds in 91612 002 on the bottom seal, when you have a nice seal weld already applied in the earlier fire box plates, 9112 010.

A good look on asssembly work anyway.

I find the front taper from level an interesting deviation. On my screen the head on, makes it look bowed out, in the center. Obviously an optical dalusion. :?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

steamin10 wrote: I do have one question tho, why the goober welds in 91612 002 on the bottom seal, when you have a nice seal weld already applied in the earlier fire box plates, 9112 010.
I find the front taper from level an interesting deviation. On my screen the head on, makes it look bowed out, in the center. Obviously an optical dalusion. :?
Because the seal weld is just that, a root pass with TIG to fuse the two pieces together. The second pass provides the area required for strength.
The outside of the firebox narrows 1/4" from front to back, because it is higher up on the taper. It is an optical illusion that it is bowed out.
Patrick.B

Post by Patrick.B »

Marty,

Glad to see you are getting things in order.

Hopefully the boiler you built for our RGS #20 is going to see its first fire sometime in October.
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
amarget

Post by amarget »

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the updates. Noticed you have used copper tubes in a large steel boiler. Do you prefer using copper over steel tubes that are welded in? Pro's and con's of either?
Contemplating the use of either material ina new large boiler of similar capacity and design here in Aus. Thanks for your feedback
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

amarget wrote:Hi Marty,

Thanks for the updates. Noticed you have used copper tubes in a large steel boiler. Do you prefer using copper over steel tubes that are welded in? Pro's and con's of either?
Contemplating the use of either material ina new large boiler of similar capacity and design here in Aus. Thanks for your feedback
What I say doesn't matter. What are the rules where you live? I believe the AMBSC allows copper tubes. I have built 198 boilers, 7 had steel tubes, 7 were all copper - 184 were steel with copper tubes. You have to wash any boiler out regulary, and maintain the water chemistry.
amarget

Post by amarget »

Thanks Marty. The size of the boiler places it outside the AMBSC code and it must conform to our Department of Industry code. This code does allow steel boilers with copper tubes. I guess from the number of steel boilers with copper tubes you have done, you prefer this combination and it obviously works. I was concerned with the size of these boilers that the differential in expansion and contraction between unlike materials, may cause leakage at the point the tubes are expanded into the end plates. I am considering the longevity copper tubes would provide as far as boiler life as opposed to steel ones.
The K27 boiler looks great!
Thanks again.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

We shipped another boiler yesterday. It is for a Railroad Supply 0-4-0 and is going to Colorado.
92712 009.JPG
92712 010.JPG